Bernie Sanders to hold rally and calls for students to host “watch parties”

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., the ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, is joined at right by Chairman Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., as members vote on amendments during the markup of Senate's fiscal year 2018 budget resolution, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, Oct. 5, 2017. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Bernie Sanders is calling for students across the country to organize watch parties for his Oct. 10 rally in support of making public colleges and universities tuition free, according to a press release

“Please join me for a livestream event on Oct. 10...to kick off a campus movement to fight to make public colleges and universities free,” Sanders said in an op-ed. “Many of you and your families are struggling to meet the high costs of tuition, expensive books, housing and extra fees.”

Public colleges and universities are already tuition-free in many advanced countries such as Germany and Finland, according to the release.

“The legislation [I’m proposing] would eliminate tuition and fees at four-year public colleges and universities for families making up to $125,000 - and make community college fee-free for all,” Sanders said, according to the press release.

UConn Democrats president Steven Della-Giustina stated his support for this rally on behalf of his organization.

“We would be more than happy to have a watch party for this rally. The UConn Democrats is full of intellectually diverse voices on the issue with a great deal of students believing that we should have tuition-free colleges, and others believing that college should be cheaper,” Della-Giustina said.

The rally can be viewed on Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. on Facebook.com/SenatorSanders.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.