Upcoming Lecture: Science and environment in the White House this Monday

“Science and Environment in the White House: What Obama Did. What Trump is Doing. What We Can Do,” will be hosted by UConn’s Center of Biological Risk and the Teale Lecture Series at 4 p.m. in the Student Union Theater and is free and open to the public.  (dcblog/Flickr Creative Commons)

Former President Obama’s Science Advisor and former Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Dr. John P. Holdren will be speaking at the University of Connecticut on Monday evening.

The event called “Science and Environment in the White House: What Obama Did. What Trump is Doing. What We Can Do,” will be hosted by UConn’s Center of Biological Risk and the Teale Lecture Series. It will start at 4 p.m. in the Student Union Theater and is free and open to the public.

Holdren was Obama’s science advisor throughout both of his terms, making him the longest-serving person to ever hold that title.

As science advisor, Holdren advised the president on science and technology issues such as biomedicine and public health, energy and climate change, the oceans and the Arctic, the nation’s space program and national and homeland security.

Holdren also represented the United States government in interactions with global science and engineering communities and fostered STEM education initiatives.

Currently, Holdren serves as a professor of environmental policy at the Kennedy School of Government and as a professor of environmental science and policy at Harvard University’s Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences.

Members of the UConn community expressed their excitement about Holdren’s visit to the university.

“I am excited to hear about Dr. Holdren’s unique perspective on the future of science and environmental policy and what we can do to support policy decisions informed by science at all levels,” associate professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Mark Urban said.

Urban said students who attend the event will gain an inside perspective on science and public policy at the national level.

The Center of Biological Risk at UConn uses research, teaching and community outreach to assess, manage and communicate biological risks of global change.

The Edwin Way Teale Lecture Series will be hosting several public lectures, lead by notable scholars and scientists here at UConn. The topics discussed will be focused on both nature and the environment.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.