Town Council Candidate Profile: David Freudmann

David Freudmann is a retired electrical engineer and University of Connecticut graduate who previously served on the Mansfield Town Council from May 2012 until the municipal election of November 2013. He is running for election to the council for the Republican party.

Freudmann said the principal tenets of his platform as a candidate are fiscal responsibility and respect for people’s individual and property rights.

“We spend too much and government is too big,” Freudmann said.

Freudmann said he feels some town ordinances, such as the off-street parking at residential rental properties and nuisance ordinances, are cumbersome for student renters and landlords.

“People have rights. We respect people’s property rights and we respect their individual rights. They go hand-in-hand,” Freudmann said. “And we don’t feel that it’s fair that we can entertain (in our homes) at will and other people are treated as second-class citizens and may get tickets for (it).”

Freudmann said he does not agree with the ordinance which the Planning and Zoning Commission approved last June that broadens the definition of “fraternity/sorority” to “fraternal organization.”

“The issue is that the very act of assembly is being made into a violation,” Freudmann said.

Freudmann said he opposes several aspects of the landlord registration ordinance. He said he believes the ordinance leads to increased rental costs and a greater number of houses being converted to rentals.

“The only part of that ordinance that I agree with is that landlords should register and should be subject to some inspection … there needs to be some protection for renters,” Freudmann said.

Freudmann said he and his two fellow Republican candidates for the council hope this election will keep the three council positions allotted to Republicans. He said they then wish to run a full slate of six Republican candidates for the council in the next municipal election two years from now, gain a Republican majority on the council and rescind some ordinances.

“Big government comes about because you pass all kinds of ordinances and have all kinds of programs that cost a lot of money,” Freudmann said. “And then a town like Mansfield becomes too expensive for young people starting out and they can’t afford to live in this town because … (the ordinances) cost money to enforce.”

Alexandra Retter is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.