Men's Hockey: Huskies welcome the No. 17 Buckeyes

This weekend’s two games will be the Huskies fourth and fifth of November, a month that will see them play 10 games. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

Huskies welcome the No. 17 Buckeyes

The UConn men’s hockey team will take on No. 17 Ohio State at the XL Center this weekend.

This year’s home series is the second time the two teams will face off, following last year's initial matchup in Columbus. Last season, the Buckeyes won the first match 7-4, while the Huskies bounced back and tied the second game, 2-2.

The Huskies (3-7-1, 2-4-1 Hockey East) are coming off of back-to-back losses against Vermont and Boston College. On Tuesday, UConn traveled to Chestnut Hill and were leading in the second period following a goal by senior Jeff Wight, but the Eagles rallied back to win the  game 2-1. Wight’s five points so far this season almost equal his six total career points entering this year.

Meanwhile, the Buckeyes (5-3-2,1-3-0 Big Ten) are coming off a homestand in which they were swept by Notre Dame, 4-1 and 3-2.

Offensively, junior Mason Jobst and sophomore Tanner Laczynski lead OSU. Jobst has five goals and five assists on the season, while Lacyznksi has three goals and a team-leading seven assists.

One the other end of the ice, the Buckeyes and goaltender Sean Romeo are one of the stingiest defenses in the country. OSU is tied for seventh nationally in team defense, holding opponents to 1.90 goals per game, letting up two or fewer goals in six of 10 games this year.

This weekend will only be the Huskies second home series of the young season, but they will have their hands full with an OSU team that has had success on the road. The Buckeyes are 4-1-0 away from Columbus this season. Last season, Ohio State led the NCAA in road wins with 13 as well as road winning percentage with a 13-2-3 road record.

This is the second time this season the Buckeyes are in New England to take on a team from Hockey East. Earlier this season they swept UMass Amherst 3-1 and 3-0.

Historically, UConn has struggled against opponents in the Big Ten Conference boasting a 2-5-2 all-time record.

This weekend’s two games will be the Huskies fourth and fifth of November, a month that will see them play 10 games.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.