Reggaeton singer Ozuna teases new Spanish song with Cardi B

At just 25 years old, Ozuna has come closer than anyone else to breaking records that were previously placed by artists Jean Sebastian and Juan Gabriel, now deceased. (Courtesy/Twitter)

On Monday, award-winning reggaeton singer and songwriter Ozuna posted a snippet of his new song “La Modelo” featuring Cardi B on Instagram. The song features both artists singing in Spanish, a different style from Cardi’s usual rapping. Ozuna announced that it will be on his new upcoming album “Trap Cartel” which does not yet have a definite release date.

This unexpected post was a screen recording video of Ozuna going through multiple audio files on his phone (assumed to be unreleased songs from the forthcoming album) until he finds the one featuring Cardi B. Once he does, he plays a teaser that made fans all over social media come together and express their excitement and anticipation for the new project.

In an interview with Billboard, Ozuna spoke on his uncertainty about his next album’s release date.

“I don’t know when this album will be dropped. We can wake up tomorrow and you will be able to listen to it, or maybe next week it will happen” Ozuna said. Since then, the Instagram video has circulated ten-fold resulting in comments, posts and likes growing every day.

Ozuna has had a very productive year, dropping his first album “Odisea” on Aug. 25 and already working on a new project coming soon. “Odisea” was received well by fans, debuting as the No. 1 album on the Billboard charts with eight of its singles placing on Billboard’s Hot Latin Songs chart.

At just 25 years old, Ozuna has come closer than anyone else to breaking records that were previously placed by artists Jean Sebastian and Juan Gabriel, now deceased. Sebastian and Gabriel are the only Latin artists in history to have more songs than Ozuna appear on the chart.

The “Odisea” album cover features a cartoon bear, representing a bear he received as a gift from his daughter which has sentimental value to him. He uses it as a mascot and it has appeared in his music video for one of the songs on the album, “Siguelo Bailando,” released on Wednesday, Nov 8. In the video, both Ozuna and the mascot dance around different parts of Tokyo, interact with citizens and go sight-seeing together to the energetic beat.

Making the effort of generally keeping profanity out of his music in respect to his daughter, Ozuna makes sure his love for her is intertwined in his music in some way. He conveys a message through use of symbolism and style of singing that foremost to his fame he is a father, not losing sight of what he values beyond his successes: family.

The humble Puerto Rican/Dominican star has made a concrete platform in the Latin world, having collaborated with huge household names such as Daddy Yankee, Romeo Santos, J Balvin and more. The majority of the singles he’s worked on have been hits, showing his ability to make listeners emotionally captivated by his lyrics and rhythms when he is being featured or integrating the talent of another artist on his own production. With that in mind, fans are eagerly awaiting the release of his approaching album and other surprises he may have in store.

Gabrielle Ferrell is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at gabrielle.ferrell@uconn.edu.