Volleyball: Huskies head to Dallas to take on SMU after Tulsa loss

UConn fought hard in a back-and-forth match with Memphis over the weekend, before earning the win. (File/The Daily Campus)

The UConn volleyball team will take on conference foe SMU for the second time this season in Dallas on Saturday after losing to conference rival Tulsa on Thursday. So far this season the Huskies are 11-16 overall and 4-11 in conference play.

UConn made a slight comeback against Tulsa lessening the lead to 2-1, but eventually, the Golden Hurricane took over and won the match 3-1.

When UConn last played the Mustangs, they lost 3-0 in straight sets. The Mustangs are 18-7 overall this season and 12-2 in conference play.

The Huskies are coming off a weekend with a loss and win against Wichita St. and Memphis, respectively.

“The Wichita match was an amazing environment,” UConn head coach Kris Grunwald said of the first match. “They have a long tradition of being in the top-25 in volleyball and they put on quite an event.  They are also in the top-25 in attendance, so having 4,000 fans in the arena creates an awesome environment. We certainly didn’t play our best volleyball, but it was great for our group to be put in that position. It certainly gives us another aspect to learn and grow from.”

UConn fought hard in a back-and-forth match with Memphis over the weekend, before earning the win.

“The Memphis match contained crazy swings of momentum,” Grunwald said. “We came out strong and put a lot of pressure on Memphis with our serving and passing and then let up and the results of games two and three showed the results.  In game four, we changed our lineup and things clicked better.  We were scrappy and frustrated Memphis.  It was nice to see the fight that we returned with.  This group deserved that win given the circumstances they have been dealt and how they are dealing with it.”  

The Mustangs are coming off a fantastic weekend in which they played and beat conference foes Tulane (3-0) and Houston (3-2).

The players to watch on SMU are sophomore libero Montana Watts and junior outside hitter Brittany Adams. Watts was named the AAC Defensive Player of the Week for the week of Nov. 6. Adams earned a mention on the league’s weekly honor roll for the same week.

Mustangs head coach Lisa Seifert has been with the program since its inception in 1996.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.