Commuter Corner: Eyes on the road

Having poor vision is rough.  Anyone with glasses can understand that.  (Melanie Hayes/Flickr Creative Commons)

Alright, so you only know me by what I write.  If we pass each other on the way to the Union, you wouldn’t know it was me.  Normally, that’s fine.  Right now though, I want to give you a simple picture of what I look like.  Don’t worry, there’s a point here, I promise.

I look pretty ordinary, to be perfectly honest.  I’m about 5’3” and 100 pounds.  I have long brown hair that is usually pulled back in a ponytail or messy bun.  I get out of breath just thinking about exercise, though nobody expects that because all skinny people are fit, right?  I have some freckles across the bridge of my nose, and my teeth are now (finally) braces-free and perfectly straight.  I don’t wear makeup, and I don’t really have any acne covering my pale face.  One of the most prominent things you’ll notice when you look at me are my blue eyes and the thick-rimmed glasses covering them.

They aren’t huge, but they certainly aren’t discreet either.  Regardless, they point to a large issue in my life:  not being able to see without them.  My vision is really bad, enhanced by a fancy thing called an astigmatism, which makes contacts super expensive.  Doctors say that your vision gets more stable once you’re out of high school, or at least that’s the assumption I was making.  I decided just recently that I do not fit that mold.  It’s becoming increasingly hard to see the slides in class, and taking notes is becoming difficult too.

Like any good college student, I Googled the sudden eye difficulties and realized my dramatic change in vision could be due to stress, but I made an appointment with an optometrist anyway.  Until that day comes, I guess I will just have to hurry and write down what I hear, because I certainly can’t see it.  I could always move closer, but I’ve already got my unassigned assigned seat, and it’s sort of illegal to move now.

This is, after all, an article called Commuter Corner, so you knew this part of it was coming.  I’m having some trouble seeing when I drive too.  I know the route by heart, so the signs aren’t all that important to me now, but having trouble seeing when driving isn’t a good thing.  I hope it’s because of stress, and not something more serious, but that’s still pretty upsetting.  I’m going to be in college for two more years, how do I just not stress?

For those of you that can float through classes without a care, kudos to you.  I am not wired like that, and I never have been.  I worry about nearly everything, so it’s not really a surprise that there’s some physical result of that, but still.  My eyes are on the Powerpoint, but I can’t read it all of a sudden.  My eyes are on the road, but I can’t see as far ahead of me as I should.  Hopefully it all gets worked out, but having poor vision is rough.  Anyone with glasses can understand that.

Hannah Desrosiers is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hannah.desrosiers@uconn.edu.