Men's Soccer: Blown call ends Huskies' season

Another season is in the books for UConn men's soccer after a 1-0 loss to UCF (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s soccer team controversially concluded their season Friday after a 1-0 loss to UCF.

In the 90th minute, junior Abdou Mbacke Thiam struck a free kick that hit the crossbar and bounced down and out of the goal. The play was not deemed a goal, but in video it is clear that the ball does in fact cross the goal line, and should have been deemed a goal.

In 2016, the NCAA approved video review for the NCAA soccer for 2016 season, but it has yet to be implemented by the American.

The no call ended the Huskies (8-8-2, 4-3-0 American) season as the team needed to win the American Athletic Conference Tournament to advance to the NCAA tournament. It is the second straight season UConn was knocked out in the first round of the four team postseason tournament in the American.

In the next round, the Knights would fall to top-seeded SMU. With the win, the Mustangs became the first team to win the championship and regular-season title in the same season.

Through the first half, the match was tied, but the Knights created the majority of the chances outshooting the Huskies 6-2, but only one of the chances tested goalkeeper Scott Levene.

Against the run of play in the 73rd minute, Yoni Sorokin opened the scoring for UCF. Following the goal UConn poured on the pressure, but could not tie the match.

The Huskies created chances throughout the match, especially in the second half, but could not capitalize. As has been the case throughout the season, the Huskies were wasteful.
Head coach Ray Reid will return most key contributors next season, as the Huskies are a relatively young team. The only starters that are graduating are redshirt seniors Levene and Andrew Geres, while Alex Kao is the only other senior to see significant minutes.

Freshmen have played a major role for the Huskies this season. After leading scorer and provider Thiam, three of the four Huskies to notch multiple goals this season were freshmen.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.