Around the American: Navy holds off SMU, Temple beats Cincy

Navy fullback Anthony Gargiulo has a huge run in the fourth quarter of an NCAA college football game against SMU Saturday, Nov. 11, 2017, in Annapolis, MD. (Paul W. Gillespie/The Baltimore Sun via AP)

Four American Athletic Conference teams were off this past weekend, but there was still plenty of action. Here’s a brief recap of the other American games.

Navy 43, SMU 40

Halfway through their game on Saturday, Navy was doing very mean things to SMU. The Midshipmen were up 34-9, already had 357 yards rushing on 35 carries and were thoroughly dominating the time of possession.

Then SMU decided to wake up. Quarterback Ben Hicks threw three touchdowns in the third quarter and one in the fourth, tying the game up at 40. It was on.

Malcolm Perry was Navy’s starter at slotback a week ago, but when head coach Ken Niumatalolo called on him to provide his team with a spark he did not disappoint. Perry marched up and down the field almost at will, rushing for 282 yards and four touchdowns and leading Navy on a 10-play, 78-yard drive that set up the game winning field goal.

Temple 35, Cincinnati 24

Temple got one step closer to reaching a bowl on Saturday as they beat a hapless Cincinnati squad on the road.

Receiver Isaiah Wright provided a spark for Temple, midway through the third quarter, running back a kickoff for a touchdown to open up a two-score lead on Cincinnati directly after they scored to cut the Owls’ lead to six.

Frank Nutile didn’t have his greatest game, but he did just enough for Temple to get the win, completing 19 passes for 225 yards and a touchdown.

Quarterback Hayden Moore did it all for Cincinnati, passing for two touchdowns and 275 yards, adding 75 more on the ground. However, it wasn’t enough to overcome their mistakes during the game. The Bearcats committed 11 penalties for 107 yards and put the ball on the ground twice.

Tulane 31, East Carolina 24

It took an overtime period to do it, but Tulane finally defeated East Carolina on the road. Running back Dontrell Hilliard had a career-high 189 yards rushing on 28 carries, and quarterback Jonathan Banks added 204 all-purpose yards.

East Carolina had an uncharacteristically poor day throwing the ball, as Gardner Minshew “only” threw for 228 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Luke Swanson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.