Jalen Adams' suspension following arrest lifted

Adams was released on a $500 non-surety bond and will appear in Rockville Superior Court on Nov. 21. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The suspension of University of Connecticut basketball player Jalen Adams from the team following his arrest in connection with a scooter racing accident has been lifted.

Adams, a junior guard for the UConn men’s basketball team and the team’s lead scorer last year, was arrested Wednesday night on charges of evading responsibility.

UCPD reported to the intersection of Gilbert Road and Hillside Road where witnesses reported four men had been racing motor scooters. One of the men crashed his scooter and then got on the back of another scooter and all four left the scene, UCPD said.

Police located Adams at a local business and he admitted to engaging in a scooter race, crashing his scooter and then leaving the scene, police said.

Police said they then brought Adams back to the scene where he was issued a misdemeanor summons.

Adams was suspended from practice Thursday and did not play in Friday’s game in which the Huskies defeated Colgate 70-58.

Coach Kevin Ollie said Adams remained engaged in Friday’s game from the bench, joining the huddles and talking with his teammates.

“He could have been moping, I didn’t think he was moping,” Ollie said. “I think he handled it very well and that’s going to be a part of my evaluation.”

Adams practiced Monday and will play in Tuesday’s game against Stony Brook.

“For the first time, it’ll be great to see everybody full go and that’ll really add some (depth) to our team with Jalen back,” Ollie said.

Adams said he is looking forward to getting back on the court.  

“I’m definitely excited to get back out there with my teammates,” Adams said. “I’m just anxious to get out there with them and celebrate the win with them tomorrow.”  

Adams was released on a $500 non-surety bond and will appear in Rockville Superior Court on Nov. 21.

Sports Editor Tyler Keating and Managing Editor Stephanie Sheehan contributed reporting.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.