Five fantasy stars of week 10

Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Robert Woods celebrates his touchdown against the Houston Texans during the second half of an NFL football game Sunday, Nov. 12, 2017, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Week 10 in the NFL was a wild one for sure. The San Francisco 49ers got their first win of the season, and the Cleveland Browns almost did before DeShone Kizer suffered an unfortunate injury. There were blowouts and comebacks, both providing star fantasy performers. Let’s see who was the best of the best.

Quarterback: Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers: 35 points standard, 35.7 points PPR

Newton had a great game against the Dolphins, passing for 254 yards and four touchdowns. He also proved once again that he is deadly with his legs, rushing five times for 95 yards. Newton currently ranks 21st in rushing on the season, a very impressive ranking for a quarterback. He has more rushing yards than DeMarco Murray, Bilal Powell and Alvin Kamara just to name a few. While doing this, he also ranks 13th in passing yards, making him the best dual threat in the game by far.

The Panthers have a bye week coming up, but the following week they face the New York Jets. The Jets’ defense has been lousy this year, sitting in the bottom sixth of total yards allowed. Newton has been a top five fantasy quarterback this season, and he will most likely continue his strong performance next week. Start Newton without any hesitation against the Jets, and expect a big game.

Quarterback: C.J. Beathard, San Francisco 49ers: 24 points standard, 25 points PPR

While Kirk Cousins and Jared Goff did have slightly more fantasy points, the performance Beathard put forth was more surprising. The 2017 third round pick out of Iowa managed to propel the 49ers to their first win of the season, beating the New York Giants 31-21. Beathard totaled 288 yards through the air, two touchdowns and one interception. He also rushed five times for 15 yards and a touchdown.

Beathard has been mediocre since stepping into the starting role, reaching at least 200 yards in four of his five starts. However, he has had some turnover troubles, with seven combined through the same five games. Looking ahead, I just cannot see how Beathard is a viable fantasy option. There are just too many options out there that are more consistent than him. Unless he plays a team as pathetic as the Giants again, Beathard is not worth owning.

Honorable Mentions: Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, Case Keenum

Running backs: New Orleans Saints’ Mark Ingram, Alvin Kamara and Trey Edmunds: 60 combined points standard, 67.6 combined points PPR

When three different running backs on one team have double-digit fantasy points, I couldn’t just pick one. The Saints running backs totaled 326 all-purpose yards and five touchdowns, completely annihilating the Bills 47-10. Ingram (31 standard, 31.1 PPR) rushed for 131 yards and three touchdowns. Budding star Kamara (19 standard, 24.8 PPR) rushed for 106 yards and a touchdown while also accumulating 32 receiving yards. Edmunds, the third-string running back (10 standard, 10.8 PPR) performed well too, as he rushed for 48 yards and a touchdown.

Ingram and Kamara are both must-starts from now on. This week was the last bit of proof needed to show fantasy owners that they can both be good, if not great, fantasy performers even though they split time. As for Edmunds, it is almost impossible that he could deliver this type of performance on a consistent basis as the third-string back. The Saints face a struggling Redskins team next week, so if you have Ingram or Kamara, start them.

Running back DeMarco Murray, Tennessee Titans: 25 points standard, 29.2 points PPR

Murray did not have the best game yardage-wise, as he finished with only 72 yards from scrimmage, the third-most rushing yards on his team behind Derrick Henry and Marcus Mariota. However, he made up for it in the scoring department, reaching the end zone three times, twice rushing and once receiving. Murray had the game winner, catching a 7-yard pass for a touchdown to clinch a 24-20 victory for the Titans over the Bengals.

I believe it is only a matter of time before Henry takes over as the workhorse back. Murray has not been his self this year, accumulating a lower yardage total than past years. He has not been the RB1 that many people hoped for when they drafted him, but at a position that is so volatile, he is worth starting as long as he still gets consistent touches. In a game against the Steelers next week, start him as a low-end RB2 or FLEX play.

Honorable Mentions: Austin Ekeler, Dion Lewis

Wide receiver: Robert Woods, Los Angeles Rams: 29 points standard, 37.1 points PPR

No other wide receiver Sunday compared to Woods, who caught eight passes for 171 yards and two touchdowns. The Rams started off slow, only scoring nine points in the first half, but exploded for three touchdowns in the third quarter as they went on to defeat the Texans 33-7. Woods used his pure speed to catch a bomb from Jared Goff for a 94-yard score, his second week in a row with a touchdown that went for 50 yards or more.

The Rams face the Minnesota Vikings next week in what is sure to be a great matchup against two 7-2 teams. Woods is currently the No. 2 wide receiver in Los Angeles, so if the Rams want to win, he will most likely play a big role. However, the Vikings have been above-average against the pass so it will be a tougher matchup for Woods than he has had these past two weeks. I would start Woods, but expect only WR2 output at most.

Honorable Mentions: Adam Thielen, A.J. Green, Chester Rogers

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.