Grille 86 and The Oaks healing after water damage

According to seventh-semester graphic design major Becky Turner, who was previously employed at Grille 86, the indefinite closure of the restaurant means the workers will be out of a job and be forced to find a temporary job until the reopening. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

Grille 86 is still in repair after the initial water damage from over a month ago.

On Oct. 21, a fire sprinkler caused damage to both The Oaks Apartments and Grille 86. The water damage from the sprinklers needed immediate fixing and long-term repair for both building areas. Grille 86 will be closed until the repairs are completed.

On Nov. 1, there was a notification on Grille 86’s Facebook page about the repairs.

“Update.... still working hard to try and re-open unfortunately the process involves slow moving insurance companies and dealing with contractors,” the Facebook post said.  “We will keep everybody updated on our progress.”

As of the time of reporting, the Grille 86 Facebook page is no longer available.

Grille 86’s website has been deactivated as well and states the same initial message that was posted on their Facebook page.

Grille 86 was unavailable to make comment about the repairs.

For The Oaks, all the residential areas have been fully restored. According to The Oaks PR head, Craig Wack, most students were able to move back on October 27 while the student from the unit where the most damage from the fire occurred moved back on November 7, Wack said.

“The job of the fire sprinkler is to pump water out to save from a dangerous situation. It’s not unusual for us (to have water damage),” Wack said. “It happens around two or three times a year. You just need time to fix everything.”

According to seventh-semester graphic design major Becky Turner, who was previously employed at Grille 86, the indefinite closure of the restaurant means the workers will be out of a job and be forced to find a temporary job until the reopening.

“I got hired this semester and I was only able to work one shift before we close, which sucks because now I need to look for a new job, after going through the training,” Turner said. “I work at a bar at home so for now, I’ve been driving home to work on the weekends.”

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.