Former UConn athlete now a personal aide to President Trump

University of Connecticut alumnus and former football quarterback Johnny McEntee currently serves as President Donald Trump’s body man, acting as his special assistant and personal aide.

McEntee joined Trump’s campaign in 2015, according to the Orange County Register. He started as a volunteer and was eventually promoted to campaign trip director. As trip director, he oversaw preparations for campaign events.

McEntee was recently seen with other White House staffers aboard Air Force One in a photo Trump tweeted last Wednesday.

McEntee told Bloomberg in 2015 that he supported Trump and joined his campaign because he “bought into the message.”

“I was sick of the career politicians,” McEntee said.

As a body man, McEntee acts as Trump’s valet. He accompanies him most places and often arranges lodging, transportation and meals, and provides food, a cell phone and any other necessary assistance.

Before joining Trump, McEntee was a production assistant at Fox News.

McEntee majored in sociology at UConn. He appeared in 15 football games between 2011 and 2012. He was the starting quarterback in every game in 2011, and that year he received the Joseph M. Giannelli Unsung Hero Award.

Mike Enright, Senior Associate Director of UConn Athletics/Communications, said he wasn’t surprised McEntee now works for the president.

“I’m not surprised he’s in that world,” Enright said. “Given his background, Johnny was always comfortable around big-time people.”

Johnny never said, ‘Oh, I’m just a walk-on quarterback, go blame the scholarship guys.’ He was a very, very serious football guy.
— Mike Enright

According to Roll Call, McEntee grew up surrounded by celebrities, as his father, John D. McEntee, is a producer and agent whose company provides A-list entertainers for private and corporate functions.

Enright said McEntee is a “serious guy.”

“Johnny never said, ‘Oh, I’m just a walk-on quarterback, go blame the scholarship guys,’” Enright said. “He was a very, very serious football guy.”

Enright said McEntee was the kind of football player and student-athlete that “you could talk to about anything, not just sports.”

McEntee is originally from Fullerton, California and attended Servite High School in Anaheim.

This article was revised from its orginal version. 

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.