MLB Column: This week in awards

The season is officially over, and we now enter in the almost-as-exciting ‘second season.’ Off-season baseball produces a lot of news, and this week was no different. Here’s a look at notable 2017 season awards distributed in the past week.

Aaron Judge of the Yankees and Cody Bellinger of the Dodgers are favored to win Rookie of the Year honors when the votes are announced Monday night, Nov. 13, 2017. (Bill Kostroun, File/AP)

Manager of the Year awards: Torey Lovullo of the Diamondbacks was given 18 first-place votes for NL Manager of the year. Behind him, Dave Roberts of the Dodgers only received five. It was his first year in Arizona after sweeping changes made to the coaching staff following the 2016 season. His 93-69 record brought the Diamondbacks all the way to the NLDS.

In the AL, Paul Molitor came out on top, also receiving 18 first-place votes. Terry Francona was close behind, receiving 11. Molitor edged Francona out by 22 points in the overall voting. It was his third season at the helm with the Minnesota Twins, and the mere 56 wins of the 2016 season did not leave the Twins with much hype. Somehow, the Twins pulled off a string of impressive games, inevitably ending up in the AL Wild Card. They’re the first team to make the postseason a year after losing 100+ games.

Silver Sluggers: Surprise, surprise: Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge were among the 18 players honored with a Silver Slugger. The award honors the top hitters at each position in each league. MLB managers and coaches voted, but could not vote for players on their own team. Prepare yourself for a list. AL honorees are: Gary Sanchez, Eric Hosmer, Jose Altuve, Jose Ramirez, Francisco Lindor, Aaron Judge, Justin Upton, George Springer and Nelson Cruz.

The NL honorees include: Buster Posey, Paul Goldschmidt, Daniel Murphy, Nolan Arenado, Corey Seager, Giancarlo Stanton, Marcell Ozuna, Charlie Blackmon and Adam Wainwright.

Gold Glove: The annual Gold Glove awards were also announced, honoring the best defenders at each position in each league. Fans can vote from the winners in each league for who will ultimately win the platinum glove. Voting ends Thursday, and awards are announced on Friday.

American League Winners: Martin Maldonado, Eric Hosmer, Brian Dozier, Evan Longoria, Andrelton Simmons, Alex Gordon, Byron Buxton, Mookie Betts and Marcus Stroman.

National League winners: Tucker Barnhart, Paul Goldschmidt, DJ LeMahieu, Nolan Arenado, Brandon Crawford, Marcell Ozuna, Ender Inciarte, Jason Heyward and Zack Greinke.

Rookie of the Year: The Baseball Writers’ Association of America holds the voting for Rookie of the Year. As was to be expected, Aaron Judge was the unanimous AL choice. His stat line read .284/.422/.627 in 678 plate appearances. That includes 52 homeruns, 114 RBI and a whopping +8.1 WAR. Andrew Benintendi finished second in the voting, and Trey Mancini finished third.

In the National League, Cody Bellinger was the unanimous decision among the BBWAA. His stat line read    .267/.352/.581 in 548 plate appearances. It includes 39 homeruns, 97 RBI and a +4.2 WAR. Cardinals shortstop Paul DeJong finished second in the voting, while Pirates first baseman Josh Bell finished third.

Cy Young: This award is dedicated to the best pitchers in both leagues. Finalists for the AL were Corey Kluber, Luis Severino and Chris Sale. Ultimately, Corey Kluber rose victorious for the second time in his career. He received a whopping 28 out of the 30 possible first-place votes. His 18-4 record was supported by a 2.25 ERA. He threw five complete games this season, and three were shutouts. Chris Sale came in second place, receiving the final two first-place votes and 28 second-place votes.

Finalists for the NL Cy Young included Clayton Kershaw, Stephen Strasburg and last year’s winner, Max Scherzer. Going back-to-back, Scherzer took home the award again. He went 16-6 with a 2.51 ERA this season with the Nationals. This is Scherzer’s third time winning the award in only ten years as a professional player. He garnered 27 of the top votes, while Kershaw finished in second place.

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.