Winners & Losers: Terry Larrier shines

Terry Larrier completes a layup during the Huskies 72-64 victory over the Stony Brook Seawolves on Tuesday night at the XL Center. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

With another week in the books, let’s look at the winners and losers from the wide world of sports.

Winner: Terry Larrier

After missing most of the past two seasons, Larrier stood out in the Huskies’ first two games which featured matchups against Colgate and Stony Brook. The knee injury and transfer rules that held him out appeared to be nothing more than a distant memory.  

The forward showed how anxious he was to return to the floor Friday night, leading UConn to victory by providing 27 points and hauling in six rebounds. He was key to the opening night victory with Jalen Adams serving a one-game suspension. He followed this up with a solid 12-point performance against Stony Brook.  He is shooting 62.5 percent from the field early on.

UConn’s success relies heavily on how well Larrier plays this season, as they could not recover from losing him last year. They will need him to consistently perform if they hope to exceed the preseason projections.

Winner: New York Rangers

After a dismal start to the season, the Blueshirts have finally found a winning formula, as they are roaring up the standings with six consecutive victories entering Wednesday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks. Coach Alain Vigneault, who was on the hot seat just a few weeks ago, has led his team back into the thick of the race.

New York’s offseason additions are beginning to gel with the rest of the roster, as the team as a whole has discovered confidence. J.T. Miller has led the way with seven points over seven games. His production puts him on pace for an 80-point season. After losing a proven forward in Derek Stepan over the summer, the Rangers need other youngsters to make major impacts. They will need players such as Miller to continue to produce if they hope to compete deep into the spring.

The Rangers turned their season around at the right time, as it appears that the Metropolitan Division will be one of the toughest in the league throughout the season. Based on the early highs and lows this season, they could finish anywhere from first to last.

Loser:  Sidney Crosby

Crosby has been lacking the scoring touch for the Pittsburgh Penguins this season, putting up only five points in his last 12 games. Sure that’s not that bad if you’re an average player, slotting in somewhere in the middle of the lineup, but this is Sidney Crosby. He is supposed best player in the world, and the guy that the coach writes in as the top line center each night without even a second thought.

But lately, Crosby has not been this player, and it shows in the Penguins’ mediocre performance. Although they sit third in the Metropolitan division with 23 points, they have played, by far, the most games.

This means that the teams below them will have the opportunity to surpass Pittsburgh as they make up these games. If Crosby and the Penguins do not start performing like they actually are the defending cup champions, they could find themselves sinking in the division over the next few weeks.

Dylan Barrett is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at dylan.barrett@uconn.edu.