Women's Basketball: Top-5 2018 recruit Nelson-Ododa joins Huskies’ juggernaut

Five-star 2018 women’s basketball recruit Olivia Nelson-Ododa will be playing for the UConn Huskies next fall after signing her letter of intent, committing to the school Wednesday afternoon.

Nelson-Ododa, a 6-foot-5 forward from Winder-Barrow High School in Georgia, is the second top-five recruit to commit to the Huskies’ juggernaut this week, joining No. 1 overall recruit Christyn Williams from Arkansas.

Nelson-Ododa is ranked No. 5 in the ESPN Class of 2018 recruiting rankings, but was once ranked the top player in her class until she suffered a fractured kneecap injury in January. She is reported to be recovering well from the injury, however, and should be fully fit by the time she starts school in the fall.

The newest addition to what seems to be another stacked UConn roster, Nelson-Ododa is a presence in the post, but also has the ability to stretch the floor with her athleticism and the ability to shoot from the perimeter.

Williams and Nelson-Ododa are currently the only recruits UConn head coach Geno Auriemma has lined up for next year, and are expected to replace the scholarship openings left by departing seniors Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse.

Chris Hanna is the associate sports editor  for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.