Coffee can improve Our Health

(tsaiproject/Flickr Creative Commons)

It’s a refreshing feeling when one wakes up to a fresh cup of coffee every morning. As college students, coffee is vital to boost our energy after any exhausting day. However, many people are unaware about the health benefits of coffee, claiming that it is only a drink that makes one jittery. To the contrary, there are many health benefits of drinking coffee which outweigh the “jittery” side effect.

We are already aware that coffee can provide us with enough energy that we need to start our day. Yet, did you know that it has essential nutrients that our body needs? A single cup of coffee contains Vitamin B12, Vitamin B5, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, and Niacin. It also provides us with enough antioxidants that are needed to fight disease, and can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.

A study was tested to determine whether coffee can reduce type 2 diabetes. An article published by WebMD reviewed nine studies relating coffee to type 2 diabetes. It was observed that out of 193,000 people, those who drank more than six to seven cups of coffee were 35 percent less likely to have type 2 diabetes than those who drank fewer than two cups.

Coffee can also increase our longevity. It has been determined that women who drink coffee have a lower risk from diseases, which promote a longer lifespan as a result. This same effect can be observed amongst men. Men who drank at least three cups of coffee daily had a 24 percent less risk of developing disease. This study confirms these claims. Thus, it has been determined that those who drink coffee live longer than people who do not drink coffee.

In addition to our overall health and well-being, coffee can make us feel calmer after a long and stressful day. According to a study published by the National Institute of Health, people who regularly drank coffee were less depressed than those who completely avoided it. This is due to the number of antioxidants that coffee has, which are imperative for good health and fighting disease. Coffee can also act as an antidepressant among individuals. It can calm people down, especially if they are not feeling well or need a chance to rest.

If coffee has so many health benefits, should we consider drinking it in the morning? Coffee may provide us with too much energy, but it definitely has enough benefits to help us start our day right. The smell of freshly brewed coffee is something that is hard to stay away from. While the intake of coffee depends on one’s own personal preference, no study proves that it has an adverse effect to our health.

If you need a fresh start to your morning, coffee is the best solution. The aroma of brewed coffee reawakens our senses and provides us with enough nutrients to start the day right. So, next time you stop at one of the dining halls, consider that cup of coffee. It does not matter how much you drink. Whether it is a half cup or a full cup, you can always unwind and de-stress with the aroma of coffee.

Anusha Kumar is a contributor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anusha.kumar@uconn.edu.