Don’t Call It a Comeback Tour: Walking in a winter wonderland

In the words of Jon Snow, “Winter is coming.” After a very mild fall, it’s finally getting cold up here. In fact, after we had such a freezing weekend, when we had a 40 degree day I was ready to break out the shorts. Now, right now it’s not super cold, but by the time we get back from Thanksgiving break, this place is going to have turned into a frozen tundra.

Most of us who are from New England know how to deal with the cold. We start with some layers. Then a heavy pair of winter socks, probably some boots and then the closest thing to a parka that we can find. And then probably a hat, gloves and really hot beverage. If you’re of age you might also go out with a liquor coat, though you can find more information about that in our Thirsty Thursday section. If you go home and stock up on those things, you should be fine for a normal winter in New England. Unfortunately, UConn winters are not normal winters.

You’ve probably already noticed it. It was the kind of thing that kept you cool back in August and September but now will be the freaking devil. I am of course talking about the Storrs wind tunnel effect.

Whoever laid out this campus certainly designed a pretty-looking campus, but they made a fatal mistake. By packing the buildings so close together and on a minor grid system, they turned the campus into a giant wind tunnel. The wind whips around corners and cuts into you like a knife as you walk to class. That combined with the freezing temperature and horrible winter precipitation (I’m looking at you wintry mix) turns the campus into a blisteringly cold wasteland.

Experienced-with-the-cold Amar says that the best solution is to just lock yourself in your dorm or apartment and not leave for the day. You can make some hot chocolate and put on Netflix. When you get hungry, you can slip down to your dining hall (if it’s in your building) or make Easy-Mac. Or you can just call for a pizza.

But fifth-year senior Amar says you should probably attend class, no matter how cold it is outside. Because not attending class because it’s cold will eventually just turn into not attending class because you don’t want to. Which is how Amar became fifth-year Amar.

So the question becomes how you actually get to class when the weather turns horrible. You could try taking the bus. But the bus is always late so you end up missing most of class anyways. And the bus only goes around the outside of the academic buildings.

The key to getting around campus when the weather is shit is to cut through buildings. You can get through the majority of campus without actually having to walk down Fairfield way. For example, if you’re going to Oak from the Union, your best bet is to cut through Laurel and maybe even some of Rowe. Or if you just got off a bus up there you can cut through the business school, and then ITE and then the library. That will minimize the amount of time you have to spend outside in the scenic, sub-zero Storrs weather.

This may seem like a lot of work, but believe me it makes surviving Storrs a lot easier. Seriously. Or you can just skip class and take up this column next year. The choice is yours.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and weekly columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.