Football: UConn vs. Boston College preview capsule

Saturday’s game will be played at Fenway Park, home of Major League Baseball’s Boston Red Sox, as part of the Fenway Gridiron Series. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Time and Place: 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 18 at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts.

Where to Watch: ESPNU, channel 67 on Storrs TV listings.

Last Meeting: Boston College won 30-0 last season, on Nov. 19 in Chestnut Hill. The Eagles hold the all-time series advantage, 11-0-2.

Last Time Out: UConn lost 49-24 to No. 14 UCF in Orlando. BC lost 17-14 to No. 25 NC State at home.

Key Players: UConn (3-7, 2-5 the American) vs. Boston College (5-5, 3-4 ACC)

UConn quarterback David Pindell:

Pindell will make his third consecutive start Saturday following an injury to Bryant Shirreffs, and after an ineffective outing against Holy Cross to start the season, he has shown great improvement. Pindell made plays on the ground and through the air against UCF, running 21 times for 96 yards and a score while throwing for 201 yards and two scores. The Huskies’ offense couldn’t keep up with the Knights, but UConn was within 11 points early in the third quarter.

UConn running back Kevin Mensah:

Arkeel Newsome has returned from injury, but Mensah, a true freshman, continues to establish himself in the Huskies’ backfield. He ran for 54 yards on 10 totes against UCF, after going for 95 yards on 22 carries against USF. Boston College ranks 113th of 130 FBS teams in rush defense, allowing 207.7 yards per game on the ground.

Boston College quarterback Darius Wade:

BC starting quarterback Anthony Brown was declared out for the season Tuesday with a lower leg injury, putting the senior Wade into the starting lineup. Wade is 23-for-40 this season for 225 passing yards, and he has yet to throw a touchdown pass.

Boston College running back AJ Dillon:

Dillon, a freshman from New London, is already over the 1,000-yard mark this season, with 221 carries for 1,039 yards and eight touchdowns. Remarkably, he has yet to catch a single pass. UConn held explosive UCF back Adrian Killins to just seven carries for 24 yards last weekend.

Talking Points

Shirreffs’ UConn Career Ends: Shirreffs hasn’t played since suffering a concussion against USF, and UConn head coach Randy Edsall announced at his Tuesday press conference that he will not play the final two games of his senior season, ending his UConn career. Shirreffs made the decision himself, and told Edsall Tuesday morning. Shirreffs finishes second in all-time passing yards among UConn quarterbacks, second in passing touchdowns, second in completion percentage and fourth in rushing yards.

Green Monster: Saturday’s game will be played at Fenway Park, home of Major League Baseball’s Boston Red Sox, as part of the Fenway Gridiron Series. Among the quirks brought about by playing a football game in a baseball stadium: Both teams will be on the same sideline, which Edsall said will affect his approach to substitutions.

The Randy Report

On Pindell’s progress: “I saw a guy that was more confident in terms of what he was doing out there … playing with confidence, playing fast. There’s still things that he has to work on just like all the guys, but I was very pleased with what he was able to bring to the table.”

On his conversation with Shirreffs: “I told him that I really appreciate everything that he’s done here this year, and I really appreciate how competitive he is, and how much he tried to do everything he could to help the team win.”

On playing BC: “I told the team: This will be the most physical test we get all year. We’re going to have to step it up on both sides of the line, big-time.”

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.