Men’s Basketball: Huskies gear up to face Boston University at XL Center

The game will be part of an XL Center doubleheader. The UConn women will play before the Huskies tip off at 6 p.m. SNY will be providing TV coverage, and the game can be streamed on the NBC Sports app when signed in with a cable package. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

After they almost let their last game get away, the UConn men’s basketball team hopes to make a statement against Boston University on Sunday.

Last year, the two teams made headlines by having one of the lowest-scoring first halves in UConn history—it was 21-17 after 20 minutes of play. The Husky offense is not terribly impressive thus far, but a 2-0 start to the season is more than they can say compared to last year.

UConn used a 19-2 run, fueled by an explosive second half by Jalen Adams in his season debut, to take down Stony Brook on Tuesday. UConn shot 71.4 percent from the floor in the second half and created more opportunities for the guards to drive to the basket. Adams hit three straight layups to give UConn a lead with 2:30 to go. He led all Husky scorers with 19 points.

They’ll have to replicate that kind of play in Sunday’s matchup against BU. The Terriers have lost their first two games to start the season, shooting 42.6 percent from the floor and 29.5 from 3-point range, something that will be a refreshing change for a Husky team that has struggled to guard the three, giving up 19 3-pointers in just two games.

BU dropped their last game to UAlbany on Monday 88-74. They held a 40-38 advantage at halftime but got outscored 50-34 in the second half. Three Terriers amassed double-digit points, with senior guard Nick Havener leading the pack with 19.

UConn has not shot much better from the floor so far, going 48-for-110 (43.6 percent), but with Adams back and Alterique Gilbert, who was behind Adams in Tuesday’s contest with 14 points, playing better, they can expect to rely less on the 3-point shot and instead utilize their dynamic guards.

The Huskies have also been executing the little things much better. The team is shooting 83.3 percent from the free throw line and has been crashing the boards much better than in recent years, as they have grabbed 74 in their first two games. Those two things will be critical if UConn hopes to dominate a weak BU team.  

UConn owns the all-time series 43-12 over the Terriers. BU’s last win came in 1986 when they beat the Huskies 80-71 at home. The game will be part of an XL Center doubleheader. The UConn women will play before the Huskies tip off at 6 p.m. SNY will be providing TV coverage, and the game can be streamed on the NBC Sports app when signed in with a cable package.

Stephanie Sheehan is the managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.