What you need to know if you’re staying on campus for break

Crim said students who stay on campus during the break are mostly international, out-of-state students and students who work or do research on campus. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Students who are staying on campus over Thanksgiving break need to register for a meal plan ahead of time, but housing will be relatively unaffected.

Students who will be staying on campus for break and wish to have their meal plan active during the break must fill out a form on the Dining Service’s website by Monday Nov. 20.

“The whole concept of meals during break…is if you have a valid meal plan…we’re going to give to you this gratis during the week,” Director of Dining Services Dennis Pierce said.

Students who have a meal plan will have access to one breakfast, one lunch and one dinner every day. Points and flex passes will not be valid during this period. Students who do not have a meal plan can purchase individual guest meals.

The only dining unit open from Sunday, Nov. 19 through Nov. 25 will be the Buckley dining unit. The only unit open Saturday, Nov. 18 will be South.

The Student Union will operate on a shortened schedule.

Dining Services will offer students a free pre-packaged Thanksgiving meal which they can pick up at Buckley Dining Hall from noon to 6 p.m. on Wednesday if they have already signed up for meals during break.

The meal will consist of cranberry-stuffed turkey roulade with turkey gravy, white and sweet duchess potatoes, honey-roasted carrots and Brussel sprouts, buttermilk biscuits and pumpkin pie. The food will come with refrigerating and reheating instructions.

“It’s a nice gesture on our part. It’s something I felt very strongly about when I requested it from Rob Landolphi (Dining Services’ Head of Culinary Operations),” Pierce said.

Pierce said Dining Services typically gives out about 30 of these meals and has been running this program for years. Pierce said they also offer this meal to police officers and firefighters who have to work on the holiday.

“For us it’s an added value you have when you purchase a meal plan,” Pierce said.

Pierce said students have told him that one of their favorite meals in the regular menu cycle is traditional thanksgiving-style dinner.

“Based on that popularity and being away from home, you want that comfort food,” Pierce said. “(So) I’m sure (students are) very appreciative.”

Students who will be living in their-on campus housing during the break do not have to register with Residential Life ahead of time, ResLife said.

Facilities operations will be fully operational 24/7 for any facilities emergencies such as lockouts and water issues and should report them as usual. There will also be RAs and hall directors on duty during the break, ResLife said.  

“There won’t be active educational opportunities sin the hall. It’ll be quiet in that regard,” The Associate Director of Housing Services, Amy Crim, said.

ResLife does not experience difficulties finding RAs and hall directors who are willing to work during the break as they are offered additional pay and receive extra for working on Thanksgiving Day, Crim said.

Crim said students who stay on campus during the break are mostly international, out-of-state students and students who work or do research on campus.

“It’s probably a mix of everything,” Crim said.

Unlike during winter break, students’ card access will not be cut off during Thanksgiving break.

Crim said students should be mindful of keeping doors propped open or letting in people to a dorm.

“Living on campus is a community responsibility. So that means the safety of the halls is based on the community,” Crim said.

If students feel unsafe in any way, they should contact the RA or police, Crim said.

“The resources are here, so they should take advantage of them,” Crim said.

Students who receive any mail after Friday Nov. 17 may need to pick their packages up at the Central Warehouse. The Putnam and Charter Oak mailrooms will be open Monday and Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., according to an email sent out Monday.

Students who are served by any other mailroom will need to go to the Central Warehouse and provide staff with the tracking number and date of arrival. The Warehouse will be open Nov. 20 through the 22nd from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.

Normal business hours for mailrooms will resume Monday Nov. 27.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.