Women's Hockey: Huskies face BC in doubleheader

The first game against BC on Friday will be in Massachusetts. The second game will be in Storrs on Saturday. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team will face Boston College for the second and third times this season in a doubleheader this weekend.

So far this season, UConn is 4-4-3 overall and 0-3-2 in Hockey East play. Boston College is 9-1-1 overall and 4-0-1 in conference play.

Boston College is coming off a split weekend at Saint Lawrence. On Friday, Nov. 10 they lost 2-1 to the Saints. On Saturday, Nov. 11 they turned it around and beat Saint Lawrence 6-3.

The biggest player to watch for BC is senior goaltender Katie Burt. In BC’s last game, Burt made 36 saves and claimed her 100th career victory in net. She is the fourth goaltender in women’s Division I history to reach 100 career wins. She is currently tied for second on the all-time wins list.

Other players to watch for BC are sophomore forward Caitrin Lonergan and freshman forward Daryl Watts.

Lonergan was tabbed the Hockey East Warrior co-Player of the Week for the week of Nov. 6. She shared the award with New Hampshire’s Carlee Turner.

Watts was selected as the Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week for the same week.

Currently, Lonergan and Watts are first and second, respectively, in the nation in points per game. Lonergan is ranked second in the nation for goals per game with Watts ranked third.

The last time UConn played Boston College was on Oct. 20 in Storrs. The game was a 2-2 tie after overtime.

The Eagles are coached by three-time U.S. Olympian Katie Crowley. Crowley’s BC teams have featured three U.S. Olympians. Crowley has led her team to six Frozen Fours and one national championship game.

The first game against BC on Friday will be in Massachusetts. The second game will be in Storrs on Saturday.

Saturday’s game will be at 3 p.m. at the Mark Freitas Ice Forum.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.