Field Hockey: UConn claims fifth title with 2-1 win over Maryland

UConn field hockey poses for a photo after a 2-1 win over Maryland in the national title game Sunday in Louisville, Kentucky. (Photo Credit/UConn Field Hockey Twitter)

The UConn field hockey team completed an undefeated 2017 season and won their fifth national title Sunday afternoon with a 2-1 win over Maryland in Louisville, Kentucky.

In their third championship appearance in the last five years, UConn got two goals from leading goal scorer and senior Charlotte Veitner to bring home the trophy to Storrs.

The first half was back-and-forth action. It was not until the 14th minute that the Huskies even got into the circle. But once they did, Veitner was there, scoring with her back turned to the net to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead and notching her 33rd goal of the season. The unassisted goal came on a breakaway into the circle. Veitner was up against two defenders and took a shot from an incredible angle that was nearly impossible to defend against.

The half ended with the 1-0 lead, both teams only taking three shots. UConn goalie Nina Klein had two saves in the half, including on a Maryland penalty corner. The Huskies failed to earn a corner in the half.

A green card on Barbara van den Hoogen carried into the second half. Huskies were a man down when Maryland scored on a rebound from a penalty corner. The green card on Amelia Iacobucci gave Maryland the opportunity to tie it in the 42nd minute.

Maryland picked up a green card in the 52nd. In the 59th they picked up a yellow card that gave the Huskies a player advantage. UConn capitalized and scored, as Veitner got the final goal of her college career to give UConn a 2-1 lead. Van den Hoogen stole the ball, brought it into the circle and passed to Veitner who got the reverse chip.

Two corners were awarded to Maryland in the final minutes, but they went without a score. With four minutes left, the Terrapins pulled their goalie for an extra position player, a technique UConn head coach Nancy Stevens practiced multiple times during the season.

The clock ran out in Kentucky as UConn became the 2017 NCAA Field Hockey National Champions, completing their 23-0 undefeated season.

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.