Going on an adventure with wizards, hobbits and unicorns

This limited edition India pale ale is a collaboration between three Connecticut breweries: Beer’d, Counterweight and Kent Falls. A limited amount was available for sale at Beer’d in Stonington on Oct. 26 and every can of Wizards, Hobbits, and Unicorns sold out before closing. (Will Harris/The Daily Campus)

Wizards, Hobbits and Unicorns is one of the best beers brewed in Connecticut. Unfortunately, chances are, you will never get to try it.

This limited edition India pale ale is a collaboration between three Connecticut breweries: Beer’d, Counterweight and Kent Falls. A limited amount was available for sale at Beer’d in Stonington on Oct. 26 and every can of Wizards, Hobbits, and Unicorns sold out before closing. Single-pint pours were available at Beer’d into the weekend, but since then every last drop has gone. None of the breweries involved have announced plans for a second production run despite the popularity of this IPA.

The artwork on the label of this collaboration plays directly to the beer’s namesake. A hobbit and a wizard ride on a pink unicorn’s back, with rolling hills extending into the background. This quirky artwork left me with a great first impression and I was already excited to try the brew.

This beer has an incredible aroma off the pour. Notes of guava and peach are backed by a slight pine aroma, giving this beer a tropical twist without sacrificing the hoppy backbone one expects in a 7 percent ABV IPA.

Pouring this beer into a teku glass resulted in a white-colored, airy head that faded quickly to a light lace around the sides of the glass. The beer is hazy without appearing unfiltered, and has a light amber color.

On first taste, this beer is exploding with tropical citrus flavors. Similar to the aroma, guava, peach and a bit of orange are the primary initial taste, with a slight pine aftertaste that reminds one this beer is a hoppy IPA. The hop flavor comes in after the initial fruity flavor has ended.  Mosaic and Azacca come out on top of a complex hop profile, which includes five different types of hops, according to Beer’d. The carbonation is light, resulting in a soft mouthfeel that goes well with the juicy flavors.

While any fan of hoppy IPAs would certainly love this beer, those who generally stay away from bitter brews would likely enjoy it as well. The tropical initial taste covers up most of the hoppy backend, making this a dangerously drinkable beer.

While this beer may now be near impossible to find, it still stands as proof of how good Connecticut’s breweries have gotten. The quality of this beer rivals some of the best beers available in New England. As far as Connecticut brewed beers go, only Two Juicy from Two Roads and G-Bot from New England Brewing Company rival the quality of this collaboration. This beer even came close to the best New England IPAs, such as Haze or Julius from Treehouse Brewing Company. If this is the kind of quality Connecticut breweries have in store for us, then the future of Connecticut microbreweries is looking bright.

Will Harris is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at will.harris@uconn.edu.