Student specialist position at Neag creates job skills

The position allows students to write feature stories and interact with faculty and staff at Neag, Shawn Kornegay, Neag Publicity and Marketing Administrator said. It offers up to 10 hours per week, a flexible schedule and may extend beyond the semester, according to Kornegay. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s Neag School of Education is now interviewing students for a student written communications specialist position.

The position allows students to write feature stories and interact with faculty and staff at Neag, Shawn Kornegay, Neag Publicity and Marketing Administrator said. It offers up to 10 hours per week, a flexible schedule and may extend beyond the semester, according to Kornegay.

“We’ve had students in this written communication role for many years,” Kornegay said.

UConn alumna Lauren Cardarelli said that she was a Neag written communications specialist while pursuing her undergraduate degree. She said the position helped her start her career.  

“The experience (and) networking opportunities … I walked away with supported me in getting my first job to say the very least,” Cardarelli said.

Erin Sobolewski, a fifth-semester secondary mathematics education major and first semester Neag student, said it would benefit Neag students.  

“This sounds like something that would be a good opportunity for Neag students. It’s always good to form connections and build relationships with staff in an area you’re interested in as a student,” Sobolewski said. “Also, it seems like it would be fun to write about important issues in the area of education since it is always something that’s so prevalent and all around us.”

Adam Cormier, a third-semester biology major, said he sees the position as interesting.

“I would be able to gain experience and knowledge working with the faculty,” Cormier said.

Cardarelli said she worked at FITNESS Magazine for two years after graduation and currently works full-time in the health and wellness space.

“My communication and organizational skills I have today all stemmed from what I learned during my time at UConn,” Cardarelli said.

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.