Column: The case for MVP

Philadelphia Eagles' Carson Wentz looks to pass during the first half of an NFL football game against the Chicago Bears, Sunday, Nov. 26, 2017, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Michael Perez)

We’re through Week 12 of the NFL season and it’s time to get serious about the MVP talk. The state of the race right now is between two polar opposites at quarterback. One is 40 years old, a 199th overall pick in his draft, a two-time MVP and a five-time Super Bowl winner. The other is 24 years old, a second overall pick, and has no playoff history.

To be fair, at this point last year no one was talking about the eventual MVP in Atlanta’s Matt Ryan. But I don’t see any competition on the horizon that would break up this two-man race between Tom Brady and Carson Wentz. Being from New England, it’s tough to admit that Brady isn’t the clear-cut favorite to win this race. It’s even tougher to admit that Philadelphia’s Wentz is the current leader in the clubhouse.

It’s difficult to make a case against the second-year quarterback out of North Dakota State. A starting quarterback who leads the NFL in touchdown passes playing on the team with the best record in the league will be a MVP frontrunner every year. If the Eagles continue this run that they’re on, Wentz will have the award locked up. Philadelphia owns the league’s best record at 10-1, which comes as a shock to basically the entire country.  No one predicted this type of season for the Eagles, but they’ve ridden the elite play of Wentz to the top of the NFC East and a very likely No. 1 seed in the playoffs.

The numbers tell a conflicting story for Wentz. On one hand he leads the league in touchdown passes with 28 (while only throwing five picks), but on the other he's only 11th in passing yards and all the way down at 30th in completion percentage. Stats won’t lose Wentz the award. Only two things stand in the way of Wentz being named this year’s MVP, one being if the wins stop piling up, and the other being Tom Brady.

New England’s Brady is having one of the most impressive seasons in NFL history. The number’s are on pace with what you would expect from an NFL MVP, but he’s doing this all at the ripe age of 40 years old. Brady’s Patriots sit at 9-2, and will battle with Pittsburgh for the one-seed in the AFC. He sits at first in yards-per-game at 306.7, first in yards-per-attempt with 8.3 and second in touchdown passes with 26. Did I mention he’s 40 years old?

The voters could look at the Patriots’ shaky start as a case against Brady, but I would imagine the only way Brady loses this award is if Wentz takes it from him.

I was going to say that it’s a shame these two quarterbacks won’t match up against each other this season, but I have a feeling we’ll be seeing them together come early February in Minnesota.

Connor Donahue is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.