Coming to Netflix in December

Netflix will release a slew of new content in December with alternative movies and shows to the usual Christmas TV movie marathons. (NodStrum Tech/Creative Commons)

Finals are right around the corner, and just after that is winter break. December is a prime time for theater releases and TV movie marathons (25 Days of Christmas on Freeform or the Hallmark Channel, for instance), but in the event that you grow weary of the same old holiday movies, Netflix has you covered with a whole slew of new content in December.

If you’re looking for movies to watch with your family of all ages over break, check out Dreamwork’s “Home: For the Holidays,” coming Dec. 1, featuring the voices of Kelly Clarkson and Ben Schwartz (“Parks and Recreation”). The holiday special is part of the cartoon series that followed the 2015 movie “Home,” featuring the voices of Rihanna and Jim Parsons. The classic movie “The Little Rascals” will also be available on the streaming site on Dec. 1. Marvel’s box-office hit “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” will make its arrival on Dec. 5. Dec. 6 will see the release of the “Trolls Holiday.” Every installation of “The Santa Claus” franchise will come out on Dec. 12, as well as new episodes of the third season of “Fuller House.”

If darker movies are more your speed, Netflix has an original series starting on Dec. 1, “Dark.” The series is in German but has similar vibes to the wildly popular “Stranger Things” with more of a science-fiction twist. “V for Vendetta,” the 2005 dystopian political thriller, will be available for streaming starting Dec. 1, as well. Season two of “The Magicians” is available Dec. 11. For horror, “Neverlake,” “The Haunting of Helena” and “Wormwood” will all be released on Dec. 15. The Will Smith sci-fi movie “Bright” will come to the site Dec. 22, and the thriller “Pusher” will be available Dec. 27.

As far as dramas go, “8 Mile,” the 2002 movie starring Eminem, and, along a similar line, the 2014 movie “Shelter,” will be added Dec. 29. “August Rush” is a 2007 drama with fairy-tale elements and will come to Netflix Dec. 1. Netflix will also see the second season of two popular original shows: “The Crown” and “Cable Girls.” Season four of “Peaky Blinders,” the popular British crime drama, will also be available in December.

A number of new documentaries will also make their way to Netflix in December, including “Voyeur,” which made its debut at the New York Film Festival. The movie is about a motel owner in Denver, Colorado, who spied on his inhabitants for sexual pleasure and will premiere on Netflix on Dec. 1. Also arriving on Dec. 1 are “The Farthest - Voyager in Space,” “Exporting Raymond,” a documentary about the producer behind the popular sitcom “Everybody Loves Raymond,” and “Diana: In Her Own Words,” which tells the story of Princess Diana through a series of her own rare recordings. “Discovering Bigfoot” and “Planet Earth II” will also be available later in the month.  

If you have a hankering for rom-coms, Will Smith will make another appearance on your queue this month in “Hitch.” The 1995 Sandra Bullock classic, “While You Were Sleeping,” will be available Dec. 1. Season four of “When Calls the Heart” will be available Dec. 4. The Netflix original with a star-studded cast, “El Camino Christmas,” will begin streaming just in time for the holidays on Dec. 8. Some other seasonally appropriate movies coming in December include “Christmas Inheritance,” “Miss Me This Christmas” and “You Can’t Fight Christmas.”

Of course, in order to make room for all this incredible content, Netflix has to remove some movies and shows this month, as well. On the chopping block are titles including “Picture Perfect,” “Practical Magic,” the “Scary Movie” series, “Holes,” “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” and “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.”

Check out a full list here

Julia Mancini is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at Julia.mancini@uconn.edu.