Melissa’s Menu: Mini pot pies

This week on Melissa's Menu the author shares her recipe for mini chicken pot pies. (Photo courtesy of Buzzfeed Tasty)

Now that winter is upon us and the weather is super chilly, there’s nothing better to warm you up than some delicious comfort food. For me, chicken pot pie is one of the all time most classic comfort foods. It’s warm, creamy, rich and delicious. This week’s recipe is making the pot pies a little easier to eat and definitely a lot cuter: they’re mini! Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s fun as well.

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 ½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 5 ¼ tablespoons butter
  • onion, diced
  • 3 carrots, diced
  • ½ cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup frozen pea
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • 4 sheets puff pastry
  • 1 egg, beaten

Directions:

First, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add the oil to a large pot over high heat. Once the oil begins to simmer, add the chicken and stir until cooked through, which should be about seven minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl. Melt butter in the same pot. Add the onions and carrots and stir until softened, which will take about 8 minutes. Next, add the flour, stirring to combine. Slowly add the milk and chicken broth, alternating between the two, stirring continuously and bringing to a boil. Add the cooked chicken, peas, salt, and pepper. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Remove from heat and let cool. Lay out puff pastry sheets and use a small (around six inches) bowl to cut circles out of it. Place the dough circles in a nonstick muffin tin and fill with pot pie mixture. Using remaining puff pastry, cut about ⅛-inch strips of dough, and make a lattice top for each muffin cup. Brush the lattice tops with the egg. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

While chicken pot pie is delightful as is, I think the mini pot-pies are even more special. Instead of being too heavy or a full meal on their own, they can be the perfect appetizer or snack. The heartiness from the veggies and chicken, the creaminess added from the milk and flour and the flakiness and butteriness of the crust make an absolutely delicious combination of flavors that could bring a smile to your face even on the coldest of days.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.