Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announce engagement

Britain's Prince Harry and his fiancee Meghan Markle arrives for a photocall in the grounds of Kensington Palace in London, Monday Nov. 27, 2017. Britain's royal palace says Prince Harry and actress Meghan Markle are engaged and will marry in the spring of 2018. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

Just under three months after the British royal family announced that Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge are expecting their third child, all eyes were on the monarchy once again as Prince Harry announced his engagement to American actress Meghan Markle.

The couple formally announced their engagement in Kensington Gardens this past Monday in front of photographers and reporters. Prince Harry and Markle beamed as they posed for the cameras. Markle showcased her absolutely stunning diamond engagement ring that had been handcrafted by the Prince himself and features stones from the prince’s late mother’s personal collection.

According to the Kensington Palace’s twitter account, the prince and Markle will be getting married in May 2018 in Windsor Castle’s St. George’s Chapel. The account also announced that the royal family will cover the cost of the wedding, which is sure to draw international attention. The Royal family, including the Queen herself, is apparently very supportive of the prince’s engagement, wishing the couple “every happiness” according to the royal family’s twitter account. The couple has been engaged for about a month, but only told their close family and friends.

Meghan Markle is an American-born actress best known for her role as Rachel Zane on USA’s “Suits.” She has reportedly left the show to move to the United Kingdom to assume her responsibilities as a member of the royal family with Prince Harry. Markle has been married once before, which would have once made her ineligible for marrying into the royal family, but the Queen has publically endorsed the engagement. Markle is also fairly politically active as an advocate for women’s rights and racial equality. Markle’s political engagement and philanthropy will make her a perfect addition to the royal family, which often hosts and attends various charity events.

In an engagement interview released by BBC, the couple announced that they were together for about a year and half before they got engaged, and about five or six months of their relationship was outside of the public eye. The couple got engaged on a “cozy night” in their cottage. According to the interview, Markle stated that she could barely let the Prince finish his proposal, telling him “yes” before he could even finish asking her. The Prince and Markle stated that they were introduced by a mutual friend, and that they had not known too much about one another despite both living very public lives. Even though the couple spent most of their relationship long distance, they still made the effort to spend no more than two weeks apart, Markle said.

It is clear that Meghan Markle will make a wonderful addition to the royal family. When wedding season rolls around in 2018, the royal wedding of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry is likely to be one of the most popular and significant marriages of the year.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.