Volleyball: Huskies look toward the future

The Huskies fell 3-2 to Houston in Guyer Gymnasium on Sunday Oct 29. They came out strong and won the first set 25-15. However, they struggled to regain their momentum until the fourth set, but ultimately they couldn't retain it. The Huskies' next game is Nov. 3 on the road against Wichita State. (Alexis Taylor/The Daily Campus)

The UConn volleyball team finished up their season on Friday with a loss against conference foe Temple.

The team finished 11-21 overall and 4-16 in the American Athletic Conference.

“Well this certainly wasn’t the season we had hoped for,” UConn head coach Kris Grunwald said. “It started off with us playing the best volleyball of our tenure here and then the myriad of injuries hit.”

Despite the injuries and losing record, Grunwald remained optimistic that his team grew and learned from this season.

“Given the difficult times, there are certainly positives we can take from this season,” Grunwald said. “We were put in some difficult situations; we traveled one weekend with eight available players.  Through all of this, this team continued to fight.  They played every match with a lot of heart.  They didn’t let the situation affect their resolve and competitiveness.  Thus, although it was difficult to endure, I think this mindset will do a lot for us as we progress into spring and next fall.  We ended up having one senior on the floor, so a lot of people got experience that otherwise would not have. “

There are three graduating seniors who are leaving the squad: middle blocker Tosin Adeniyi, outside hitter Daniel Cabel and outside hitter Kenya Cason.

Redshirt sophomore Kayla Williams is ranked fourth in the American Athletic Conference for kills with 3.88 a set.

Junior setter Emma Turner is ranked fifth in the American for assists per set with 9.53.

UConn is ranked 10th in the conference out of 12 teams.

Looking forward to next season, Grunwald is excited.

“As for next season, we will basically be losing one senior while adding four freshmen and three returning from injury so we will be very excited to get back in the gym to practice and compete with a full squad,” Grunwald said.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.