‘Tis the season to binge watch Christmas movies

December is almost here, which means Freeform's "25 Days Of Christmas" is right around the corner with back-to-back Christmas movies. (Ma Boite/Creative Commons)

With temperatures dropping and holiday decorations popping up all across campus, it is clear that Christmas time has arrived at last. The best way to deal with this excess of merriment and overwhelming holiday cheer is clearly to close the dorm room door, cuddle under an oversized pile of blankets and have a marathon of every Christmas movie in existence. But where to begin?

First, it must be understood that there are two types of Christmas movies: regular and Hallmark.

A common destination for the Christmas movie enthusiast is Freeform’s “25 Days Of Christmas.” This series of back-to-back Christmas movies throughout December includes classic childhood films such as “Elf,” all three “Santa Clause” movies and “The Polar Express.” This year, they also seem to be showing some rather obscure movies like “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,” “Rudolph and Frosty’s Christmas in July” and “The Bells of Fraggle Rock,” all of which would be a great boost to anyone’s Christmas movie repertoire.

For those who’d rather not be subject to the whims of Freeform, Netflix recently put up dozens of Christmas movies. This includes movies no one has ever heard of like “The Christmas Bunny,” “A Christmas Prince” and “My Dad is Scrooge.” Luckily, it also has a few recognizable flicks, such as “The Legend of Frosty the Snowman” and “White Christmas.”

Hallmark is a different beast altogether. This year, Hallmark will come out with approximately 33 new Christmas movies. This completely trumps last year’s 22. Each movie is marked by poor camera quality, familiar romantic plot lines and at least one reminder of Christmas in every scene.

There are so many Hallmark Christmas movies at this point that they begin showing them on Nov. 1 and have to spread them across two separate Hallmark channels. The normal Hallmark channel plays only romantic comedies, while the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel shows some slightly more thrilling renditions of Christmas flicks. These channels play original movies nonstop. Once the credits of one fade away, the opening credits of the next come into view. This helps to keep the audience trapped, unable to change the channel.

Every weekend, multiple Hallmark movies are premiered. Sometimes they release two new movies in one day. After so many years of accumulating original movies, many of them appear to contain the same plot as one or two of their predecessors. There are only so many ways to show someone finding love and learning the true meaning of Christmas, and yet Hallmark keeps conjuring more.

Some of Hallmark’s greatest movies are “A Cookie Cutter Christmas” and “Hitched for the Holidays.” The latter includes a fantastic interaction where the Christmas-oriented characters characteristic of Hallmark meet their very first Jewish person.

To spend a day only watching the Hallmark “Christmas Countdown” is to enter a realm where everyone goes big or goes home for Christmas. Every house is decorated, every kid is in a Christmas play and every romance is highlighted by a moment beneath a mistletoe.

It can be hard at school to truly embrace the holiday season, but where snowfall and fresh-baked cookies are missing, there are always movies that can take their place. So pop some popcorn, snag a few candy canes and get ready for the most holly jolly part of the year.

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.maher@uconn.edu.