Connecticut residents targeted by health insurance scam

Access Health CT is the ONLY place for Connecticut residents to sign up for coverage under the Affordable Care Act during open enrollment periods

Connecticut residents are being targeted by an email scam attempting to sell fake health insurance during open enrollment sessions, according to Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen.

“The email purported to offer ‘TrumpCare-AHCA’ plans to Connecticut residents through a sham Web site and phone number,” Jepsen’s office said in a press release. “‘AHCA’ refers to the federal American Health Care Act, which was not passed by Congress and is not in effect.”

Access Health CT is the only place for Connecticut residents to sign up for coverage under the Affordable Care Act during open enrollment periods, Jepsen said.

"It is an unfortunate reality that scammers frequently use current events to take advantage of people,” Jepsen said. “For those consumers who are right now looking at their healthcare options for the coming year, it's very important to be cautious and take steps to protect yourself and ensure that the policy and insurer that you're considering is legitimate."

University of Connecticut Executive Director of Student Health Services, Suzanne Onorato, said that she advises students to take all necessary precautions to avoid health insurance scams.

“If a student chooses to have their own personal insurance policy or be carried by their parents through an ACA insurance plan, they may be at risk for falling for fake insurance scams in the marketplace,” Onorato said. “(They) should be advised to only use the Access Health CT website if they choose not to purchase the university-sponsored insurance plan.”

All students covered under the UConn Student Health Insurance Plan are not at any risk of buying fake insurance policies if they follow the insurance instructions provided by Student Health Services, Onorato said.

Officials advised that Connecticut residents should practice safe online behavior when shopping for insurance. Such practices include not opening links or email attachments unless one is absolutely sure of the source and being aware of warning signs that could indicate an illegitimate website or phone number.

Officials also advised people to never provide Social Security numbers or other personal identifying information to unsolicited telephone callers, through email, or to door-to-door salesmen claiming they need such information to ensure continued participation in Medicare or other government programs.

"Buying health care coverage can be confusing and these scams are seeking to take advantage of consumers as they are making critical decisions about their plans for 2018," CEO of Access Health CT Jim Wadleigh said. "Access Health CT is the only place where you can shop and sign up for coverage under the Affordable Care Act. If you've got questions or concerns, give us a call, we are here to help."

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.