UConn alums win silver at national wingsuit competition

Photo courtesy Skydive Fyrosity

University of Connecticut grads Sarah Chamberlain and Jeff Harrigan competed in the second Fédération Aéronautique International Wingsuit Flying World Cup last week in Overton, Nevada, and won the silver medal, according to the United States Parachute Association.

“It feels great to be pushing this discipline forward,” Harrigan said. “It’s only been an ‘official’ form of competition in the U.S. for three years and our team has been together since the first year.”

Harrigan and Chamberlain’s team attended the Fédération Aéronautique International after recently being named national champions for the second year in a row.

While there are three competitions on the horizon for Harrigan and Chamberlain’s team, Harrigan said they will probably only attend two of them.

“The USPA Nationals and FAI World Championship are both happening again next summer, but the third is the ninth International Acrobatic Wingsuit World Championship,” Harrigan said. “It’s open to any team from around the world. There are some really incredible teams that we’ve always wanted to compete against, but they wouldn’t be allowed at the FAI event.”

Harrigan said his team prepared by doing 100 to 150 training jumps this year and would often devote whole days or weekends at a time to training. Since competitions consist of seven rounds, the team often practices by doing seven to eight training jumps in a day.

“We really have to keep pushing ourselves if we want to stay on top from year to year,” Harrigan said. “Because we know the other teams are pushing themselves.”  

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.