Dan Blanchard profile

Blanchard said this is his first time seeking public office in Mansfield. He said he has been involved with educational politics throughout his career as a teacher.

Dan Blanchard is a New Britain High School teacher who has lived with his family in Mansfield for about six years. He is running for a position as an alternate member of the Mansfield Zoning Board of Appeals for the Democratic party.

Blanchard said he attended college for a total of 14 years and has seven degrees. He has been a teacher for over 20 years, he said.

“I’m a union officer – a teachers’ officer – in New Britain, and I’ve done a lot of work at the AFT (American Federation of Teachers) state, and some national stuff,” Blanchard said. “So I’ve been very active, just not active in Mansfield, where I live… I’ve been in AFT for the last 20 years.”

Blanchard said he is seeking office because people have encouraged him to do so over the past five years.

“I really like the town…And I know I’ve got a lot to offer,” Blanchard said. “So I figure if I really like the town and I know I’ve got a lot to offer and other people are telling me I should run for office, then what the heck, I should run for office.”

Blanchard said he wishes to get to know residents, become better known in town and learn how Mansfield functions.

“There’s a lot about Mansfield I don’t know, a lot of people I don’t know, a lot of procedures and just ways they do things that I’m not that familiar with,” Blanchard said. “So I (want to) get to know the lay of the land, and then contribute in whatever way I can. And then eventually, work my way up; I’m not interested in becoming mayor or anything like that, but at some point, I’d be a good Board of Ed member.”

Blanchard said the longtime Mansfield residents whom he met while canvassing door-to-door for this election inspired him to want his family to remain in town for generations to come.

“I hope that my kids stay here. And that when they have kids, their kids stay here. It would be really nice to have that little heritage or family tradition here in Mansfield,” Blanchard said. “I’ve lived in a lot of different places, and I’m very, very happy with Mansfield, and I’m hoping that we settle here for many, many years.”

Bullets:

• New Britain High School teacher, has taught for over 20 years
  • Has been involved with educational politics throughout his career as a teacher
  • Wishes to get to know residents, become better known in town, learn how Mansfield functions
  • Hopes family will stay in town for generations to come

Alexandra Retter is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.