Katie Fratoni profile

Fratoni said though the Planning and Zoning Commission does not approve of agendas either from its regular commission members or its alternates, she believes the commission needs to preserve “what we have for future generations.” (Flickr/Creative Commons)

Republican Planning and Zoning Commission alternate candidate Katie Fratoni said she hopes to continue serving Mansfield as a member of the commission in the upcoming term.

Fratoni joined the Planning and Zoning Commission during the current term to fill a vacant spot left by another Republican alternate.

“This is my first time running on my own,” Fratoni said.

Fratoni also serves as the commission’s representative to a subcommittee called Sustainability which  she believes Mansfield needs to preserve its resources for future generations.

“We are working hard to help Mansfield be more energy efficient. I have learned a lot and have enjoyed it very much,” Fratoni said.

As an alternate, Fratoni said she will sit on the board when one of the regular members is absent.

“It is decided by the Chairperson who will sit on the board in a rotating basis. If I am not seated, I do not vote on anything,” Fratoni said.

Fratoni said though the Planning and Zoning Commission does not approve of agendas either from its regular commission members or its alternates, she believes the commission needs to preserve “what we have for future generations.”

“But with that in mind, I will always keep an open mind toward new businesses and items that will help Mansfield,” Fratoni said.

When asked about the zoning ordinances banning UConn students from holding organization gatherings off-campus, Fratoni said her opinion is her own and is not based on her being a part of the Planning and Zoning Commission.

“I feel that some individuals and groups have caused problems for residential neighborhoods and local police. In my opinion, they have caused a harder stance to be taken which in turn is harder on the individuals and groups that play by the rules,” Fratoni said.

Bullets:

• Republican running for Planning and Zoning Commission alternate
  • Joined the commission during the current term to fill a vacant spot
  • Is a member of a subcommittee called Sustainability and believes Mansfield should be more energy efficient and preserve its resources for future generation
  • Believes certain individuals and groups that have caused problems for residential neighborhoods and local police have caused a harder stance to be taken which is harder on individuals and groups that “play by the rules”

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.