Rebecca Aubrey profile

Rebecca Aubrey is an elementary school Spanish teacher in Ashford who was selected as Teacher of the Year and made it to the semifinals for State Teacher of the Year. She is running for a position on the Board of Education to fill a vacancy with the Democratic party.

Aubrey said she has a good understanding of the school system as she filled the vacancy this past year in the middle of the board’s term.

Aubrey said she hopes to address the issue of older school buildings in the district in the future.

“Enrollments are declining and we are unsure of the budget,” Aubrey said.

Aubrey said she also would like to work with the special needs programs throughout the district and ensure that the needs of all students are met.

Aubrey said she wants all students “to have a 21st century learning environment, both social and academic.”

Aubrey said participation in discussions and community events has allowed her to gain an understanding of what the community wants. She said she has also gained this understanding from her experience as a single mother with three children, one who has special needs.

Aubrey said she wants to maintain the support that the Mansfield schools are currently receiving.

“I want to ensure that we are continuing to support schools that are meeting the needs of all students and letting them grow,” Aubrey said.

According to Aubrey, Mansfield has put together a budget, that is fiscally conservative and allows for improvement.

“We value what the community has to say,” Aubrey said. “We want to allow them to be part of the process.”

Aubrey said she has enjoyed serving on the board and looks forward to the future of continuous work with them.

“I’ve always felt that in a democracy we receive many rights and duties,” Aubrey said. “It has been an honor to bring education and parenting back to students.”

Bullets:

• Filled the board’s vacancy this past year in the middle of the term
  • Hopes to address the issue of older school buildings in the district
  • Would like to work with special needs programs throughout the district and ensure that all students’ needs are met
  • Has gained understanding of what community wants from participation in discussions and community events
  • Wants community input on board’s decisions

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.