Sarah Woulfin profile

Woulfin said she hopes to achieve a balance between the University of Connecticut and the town of Mansfield. (Flickr/Creative Commons)

Democratic candidate Sarah Woulfin said, if elected to the Zoning Board of Appeals, she hopes to balance growth and change in Mansfield with maintaining its “historic character and natural beauty.”

Woulfin, who is running for public office for the first time this year, decided to run because she wanted to be more involved in the community of Mansfield and specifically in its town hall.

“I thought that it was an important time for people from different backgrounds to get involved in local politics. I also thought that this was a good way to serve Connecticut and learn more about the political process in Mansfield,” Woulfin said.

Woulfin said, one of her main goals would be to balance her decisions in a way that complies with current laws and regulations while also making sure the committee is meeting the needs of Mansfield’s residents.

“I’m also hoping to reach those bigger picture goals between growth and preservation and protecting the environment,” Woulfin said.

Woulfin would be hearing cases from people whose planning and zoning projects have been flagged or rejected by the Planning and Zoning Commission.

“It’s an appellate court where people can bring evidence and where their side of the case is heard,” Woulfin said.

Woulfin said she hopes to achieve a balance between the University of Connecticut and the town of Mansfield.

“It’s important to think of the big picture, in terms of health and safety implications for both UConn students and other people in the town of Mansfield,” Woulfin said. “It’s important to look at things like parking, road hazards and other things impacted by different events and gatherings, whether they be affiliated with UConn students or not,” Woulfin said.

Bullets:

• Democrat running for the Zoning Board of Appeals
  • Hopes to balance change and growth in Mansfield with with maintaining its “historic character and natural beauty”
  • Hopes to achieve a balance between UConn and Mansfield

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.