Women’s Hockey: UConn set to host RPI this weekend after a 12-day layoff

UConn is coming off a disappointing defeat against Boston University, but was able to tie No. 3 Boston College. Seniors Theresa Knutson and Leah Lum provided the offense with a goal each. However, the big story was senior goalie Annie Belanger saving 45 shots. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

Fresh off being named the WHEA Defensive Player of The Week, Annie Belanger will lead the UConn women’s hockey team (3-3-1, 0-2-1) as they take on RPI (3-4-1) Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum.

RPI is coming off a 4-1 win against Brown. The star of the game was Shayna Tomlinson, who scored a goal to go along with two assists. Jaimie Grigsby and Makenna Thomas each added a goal and an assist. Josefine Hansen scored a goal on her only shot attempt, while the team was only penalized once.

UConn is coming off a disappointing defeat against Boston University, but was able to tie No. 3 Boston College. Seniors Theresa Knutson and Leah Lum provided the offense with a goal each. However, the big story was senior goalie Annie Belanger saving 45 shots.

UConn head coach Chris Mackenzie knows how much Belanger means to this team.

“Annie (Belanger) expects to play great every game and we were happy for her award,” Mackenzie said. “She had an outstanding game against BC and it helped us with the tie against the No. 3 team in the country.”

Mackenzie said the team will work on their special teams against RPI. On power plays, the Huskies have given up seven goals, while scoring only four of their own.

The Huskies are led by Colangelo, who has four goals and assists and Lum, who has four goals as well. Freshman Natalie Snodgrass has provided a nice spark for UConn as she has three goals and leads the team with five assists. The anchor of the defense Belanger has gotten the bulk of the playing time at goalie and has 145 saves.

The loss against BU, has the Huskies excited to get back on the ice and start fresh.

“We are happy with our senior leadership and what they are contributing to our team.  We are excited to play this weekend,” Mackenzie said.

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.