'Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp' is cute but pointless

It feels like there is a new app on the market everyday designed to target the nostalgia of millennials, and Nintendo’s latest release “Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp” is no exception. While the game was downright adorable and easy enough to play, it did not come without its fair share of problems.

The game begins with you designing your character. You get to pick their hair, eyes, skin tone and hair color. Soon after designing your character, your avatar is dropped off at a campsite. You then participate in a quick (ish) tutorial where you learn the basics of how to operate the game and what it is you are actually supposed to do.

I am not too sure on what exactly the point of this game is. I have played other apps where the motive of the game is clear, but with “Animal Crossing Pocket Camp,” I am a bit unsure. At this point, I think the goal of the game is to attract as many people to your campsite as possible. The first step to filling up your campsite is to befriend the many adorable animals that live in the game. You can befriend them by completing requests like catching bugs and fish, collecting shells and shaking fruit out of trees. They return the favor by gifting you with bells (the games currency) and building supplies. You use the money and materials to build furniture to place on your own campsite, as each character requires different furniture before they can visit. Once they arrive at your campsite, they are there for good unless you decide to rotate them out.

First off, this game is absolutely adorable. The friendly characters, bright eyed avatars and charming map locations help amp up the cutesy factor of this game. I was especially charmed by the game because “Animal Crossing” was one of my absolute favorite games when I was younger, so “Pocket Camp” hit me hard with nostalgia.

My major problem with the game, like I mentioned earlier, is that I honestly have no idea what I am supposed to be doing. For all I know, I could be misreading the game entirely by spending bells and time befriending all the anthropomorphic animals in town. When I play a phone app, I want the premise to be clear and simple. I want to know if my goal is to break all the candies, attract cats to my yard or become an A list celebrity. Sure, these games can have side objectives or mini games, but I can’t tell if I am supposed to make friends or money or both in this game. I think it is fair to mention, though, that I have only played “Pocket Camp” for a day. I prefer my phone apps mindlessly simple and addictive - of which this game is neither.

At the end of the day, it was really fun for me to revisit a franchise that played such an important part of my childhood, but I can’t help but think that this game would be far more fun if the objective of the game was clearer.  

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.