Exclusive: Q&A with Lucian Wintrich

The Daily Campus talked to Wintrich on Wednesday night for his side of the story on the events that transpired Tuesday night. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

White House correspondent for The Gateway Pundit, Lucian Wintrich, was arrested following his “It’s OK to be White” speech at UConn on Tuesday night. Daily Campus correspondent Lillian Whittaker interviewed Wintrich Wednesday night over the phone to discuss his reaction to the events that unfolded.

Note: Parts of the transcript have been edited for brevity and clarity.

Whittaker: Explain to me what happened in your own words. Was it what you expected?

Wintrich: It’s kind of funny because I addressed it in my speech. You can point and scream and call someone a Nazi, and we saw that and it proved sort of the point. Even though the speech wasn’t made, the underlying point under the speech was made. I also think it’s wild that the woman who grabbed my speech is in her mid-40s and is an advisor of a community college. This middle aged woman who is advising students was a ringleader who tried to get the talk shut down… It speaks to the childishness of the people. Quite honestly, it's nice debating with students because I get to see what students are thinking and their views on conservatism, and how to correct them… That woman is more or less what those people have to look up to being. I felt so bad for a handful of students from College Republicans who weren't able to get into the speech because the demonstrators occupied the chairs. If they just calmly exited without completely ending the speech the other students could’ve funneled in and we could have proceeded with a Q&A after. I've never seen officers allow demonstrators to get the close to the stage. You see in the video officers standing around [while people were demonstrating] after I was guaranteed adequate security.

Expand on your plans for future “legal justice.”

We are going to be taking legal actions. We had a good handful of lawyers offering to defend us pro bono… I've had countless people send me messages. I have veterans sending me emails about how sad higher education is becoming… We are looking into all of the options. I don't want to state definitively what we are doing just yet. I will say that woman needs to be fired immediately. She came… with the sole intention of disrupting the speech. That is what she does on a Tuesday night: she goes to a university talk to shut it down.

Will you be taking legal actions towards UConn?

I’m not going to speak to that. We are still trying to figure things out with our council.

Do you think the police actions were fair?

(Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Is that a joke? They saw a scuffle and tried to break it up. What’s ridiculous [is that] they saw what I successfully got, I got the speech back, my only hard copy. They should have escorted me off the premise and released me. They had no reason to arrest me. It's absurd, I think. I exercised reasonable and lawful action to retrieve that property from again a 40-year-old woman who is a college advisor at a community college. She wasn't some cute little freshman trying to make a joke.

How did you identify this woman?

I do work for one of the nation's leading conservative news sites. We have a team of people, we put out a request and got as much information as possible and were able to identify her.

Will you be coming back to UConn?

If I’m invited back and I’m guaranteed that security... I feel sorry for the students who came there actually looking for a talk and to engage in a discussion.

What were your goals going into this presentation? Did you achieve your goal?

We need to publicly examine how our far left media is peddling in race. [The goal] was to explore those topics. I think the left has created a very racially toxic environment in media.

The closing line [of the presentation] was for people to fight against racism.

Would you have done anything differently? Why or why not?

Not really. I wouldn't have worn a $4,500 tux. Had [the woman] stolen the speech and [if I] just let it happen then that becomes a trophy for these people. They think this is how we shut down hate speech. One idiot, a student, said “I was so damaged by the entire thing,” because the PowerPoint included a picture of  Hitler. Has she ever seen a picture of Hitler before? Some of these statements people were making were so outlandish.

What do you have to say to those students who protested/are giving you negative commentary?

Don’t get all your facts from one place. You really do need to read both sides of the article. I’d recommend them to crack open a book and read a basic conservative book. They really need to familiarize themselves. I personally read all the far left websites, and all the main stream outlets, then the conservative. That’s what everyone should do to get all sides.

Conservative media absolutely has a bias, but to say the far left doesn’t [have a bias] is wild. You need to read both sides and make up your mind from there.

Is there anything you’d like to add?

The bail was set at $0, not $1,000. No bail was involved, that was a false statement a spokesperson put out.

Lillian Whittaker is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lillian.whittaker@uconn.edu.