Lucian Wintrich claims to seek ‘legal justice’ against UConn

Students protest outside of Schenker Lecture Hall after White House correspondent for the Gateway Pundit Lucian Wintrich's lecture was shut down after he attacked a student on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2017. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

D.C. Bureau Chief and White House correspondent for the Gateway Pundit, Lucian Wintrich, is now planning to pursue “legal justice against the woman who stole [his] property and the university that failed to secure [his] freedom of speech,” according to a tweet Wintrich posted at 11:57 a.m. on Wednesday.

Wintrich was placed under arrest at 8:57 p.m. on Tuesday, charged with breach of peace in the second degree with a $1,000 bail, according to a University of Connecticut Police Department report, after grabbing the shoulders of a woman who snatched Wintrich’s speech papers during his speech.

There have been no official statements or arrest reports in regards to the woman or her identity.

I’m disappointed that politics have gotten extreme enough that the UConn College Republicans allowed this extremist to come
— Mansfield Democratic Town Committee chairman Ben Shaiken

As for the man in all "Make America Great Again” apparel, though he was escorted from the building by police, there were also no records of his arrest at the UConn Police Department as of Wednesday.

He was later identified to be Salvatore Cipolla, a worker for the conservative men’s publication “Proud Boys.”

The publication covered the Tuesday night’s events with the headline "Persecution of conservative speakers continues with Lucian B. Wintrich arrest.”

Wintrich’s publication, the Gateway Pundit, also covered the event with the headline, “Far left mob shuts down Lucian Wintrich speech at UConn – Students riot – Lucian arrested!”

When the Daily Campus reached out to Wintrich over email to follow up, Wintrich denied the email request.

While Wintrich spoke of legal retaliation in response to the arrest, Mansfield Democratic Town Committee chairman and UConn alum, Ben Shaiken, said there is nothing to fear with Wintrich’s threats to sue.

Salvatore Cipolla, a worker for the conservative men’s publication “Proud Boys” records Wintrich's speech. Cipolla was escorted out of the event by police. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

“I don’t put any stock into what he says,” Shaiken said. “He’s fairly happy he was arrested because it raised his profile nationally.”

This mentality to cause commotion for self-promotion is unethical, Shaiken said.

“I’m sad that it happened in Mansfield. It hits home when it happens in your own backyard,” Shaiken said. “I’m disappointed that politics have gotten extreme enough that the UConn College Republicans allowed this extremist to come.”

Mansfield Republican Town Committee vice chairman Eric Holinko said it seemed as if people were looking to be adversaries during the event.

“That man does have the right to speak. If people were there to purposely cause trouble, I can’t condone that,” Holinko said. “If he were there to speak and not cause problems, he can speak his mind. People are willing to realize people have a right to speak. Why don’t you let them?”

Lillian Whittaker is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lillian.whittaker@uconn.edu.