MLB Column: The ice cold stove

In this Aug. 10, 2017, file photo, Miami Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton (27) watches his two-run home run during the third inning of the team's baseball game against the Washington Nationals in Washington. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File)

So like…the only one anyone cares about is Giancarlo Stanton…right? We all know he has a full no trade clause, and the new Marlins ownership is looking to deal him after he publicly said he doesn’t want to be a part of their rebuilding. His contract is a massive 10-year, $295 million deal. That’s the largest contract in MLB history. Ownership is looking to rid itself of that contract as soon as possible.

Additionally, the Marlins are so bitter about Stanton being selective that if he doesn’t approve a trade, they’ve threatened to keep him and trade every other player of value on their team in his place. This would include Christian Yelich, Marcell Ozuna, Justin Bour, Dee Gordon and JT Realmuto.

Not going to lie, I almost hope that happens because this hot stove is absolutely freezing right now. Seeing those names on the market could spark a monster offseason. Also I love Yelich and he should be a Met. Just saying.

So who’s looking to buy Stanton? There’s names all over the place. The Red Sox threw their name out there, the Dodgers are always looking to spend, the Giants even offered to take his entire contract. The Cardinals, Braves and Phillies are a few other teams in the mix, but it has to work for management and Stanton.

There’s a good deal of talk about Shohei Ohtani. Ohtani is a pitcher who also intends to be used as a hitter. He’s asked teams to submit proposals as to how they intend to use him, and he’ll make decisions based on that. The Japanese player is waiting on the new posting system to be ratified this week.

Other than that, not much is going down. This has been very boring. Stay tuned, maybe next week we’ll see some progress.

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.