UConn officials provide winter weather tips for students as cold approaches

“Make sure to protect your ears, tip of your nose, fingers and toes, as they’re most prone to frostbite,” Daugherty said. “It’s important to purchase warm, waterproof, mittens, boots, hats and heavy winter coats.” (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut officials have provided students with a set of guidelines for the approaching inclement weather such as bundling up, stocking up on food and watching for ice.

In the email sent out earlier this year, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Eleanor Daugherty gave a list of procedures as well as precautions that students should follow on campus to ensure their safety and well-being.

“Those of us who are from New England are very aware of the change in temperature, the accumulation of snow and how to be effectively prepared for these colder months,” Daugherty said in the email. “Others will find that their first winter in New England comes with a bit of a learning curve.”

Daugherty said that staying warm is the most important precaution students can take this winter to stay safe.

“Make sure to protect your ears, tip of your nose, fingers and toes, as they’re most prone to frostbite,” Daugherty said. “It’s important to purchase warm, waterproof, mittens, boots, hats and heavy winter coats.”

Third semester political science major Frederick Van Augur, who has already endured one UConn winter,  said preventing frostbite is one of the most important precautions to remember.

“Layering is key,” Augur said. “It might get warmer or colder throughout the day after you leave your room, so it’s a good idea to wear things that can be removed if you happen to enter a warmer environment.”

Daugherty added that students, especially commuters, should remain vigilant of the UConn Alert system in the occasion of severe weather or an emergency closure.

“Commuting students are encouraged to use good judgment and not travel to school when road conditions are treacherous,” Daugherty said. “Dining, Residential Life, UCPD and Facilities are filled with staff committed to providing for your welfare even during the most severe weather emergencies.”

As for snow clearance, Daugherty said that university services aim to clear snow from all of campus, but the priority is for emergency vehicles, student-critical areas such as Health Services and dining halls, as well as emergency repairs.

“Facilities Operations & Building Services is a department focused on keeping our buildings and grounds clear and safe during severe weather,” Daugherty said. “[Students should] be cognizant of them operating equipment and recognize certain service levels may not be reached during inclement weather.”

First semester biomedical engineering major Alexandra Porczak, who has slipped on ice before, said that she fears that icy sidewalks will force her to adjust her schedule.

“Since I’m from Connecticut, I know how to prepare for winter,” Porczak said. “But I’m always in a hurry getting around so I hope I won’t fall if the sidewalks are too icy.”

Daugherty said that although there will be some inconveniences this winter, UConn Facilities will work hard to ensure the comfort and safety of all students.

“The winter weather presents a unique style of inconveniences,” Daugherty said. “That being said, UConn is prepared to offer minimal disruption to classes and the functioning of the university.”

Daugherty added that the winter is an opportunity to enjoy the unique beauty and leisure of the Northeast.

“Yes, roads and walkways can be slippery but there is also ample opportunity to enjoy skiing, snowshoeing, sledding, etc.,” Daugherty said. “Seasonal equipment may be rented from the UConn Adventure Center located in the Student Union.”

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.