What if California really seceded from the United States?

California's threats to secede from the Union sparks thoughts on what the implications could be if they left the United States. (Devin Cook/Creative Commons)

So, Yes California protests are still going on, and they’ll probably continue for the rest of the Trump presidency. You see, these group of Californians were so upset at the new president being elected that they blamed America as a whole for the election, and for “letting the Russians influence the voting.” Well, all I can say is that it would be some historical moment, especially since they aim to accomplish something that hasn’t been done since 1865. But seriously, nothing could be as ridiculous as a single state seceding from one of the most powerful countries in the world. Although, the only thing the U.S. would lose from California would be the decrease in liberal voting percentage - since California makes up at least 12 percent of nationwide democratic votes based on 2016 data. Oh and also there’s the pride of the United States for not being able to control a single state’s tantrum.

So, what other problems would arise if California supposedly managed to secede from the Union? Would things turn out better for the parted state? Well, maybe in egotistical terms with reputation--being able to secede from a powerful country is rather impressive if not just idiotic. But what problems would this new country face? What would be the effects on the new Californians and its relations with the other united forty-nine states? I say let’s dig deep into some (not all, because there are many, but I will state the most important) of the problems these Californians would face, shall we?

Let’s consider those who actually didn’t vote for California’s secession. We can assume that those who would not have voted for California to become its own nation would have to be about more than four million who voted for Trump. For an actual estimation by the lovely Wikipedia, the estimated number would be 4, 483,810 Californians. With that in mind, that many people would leave the nation and move into the neighboring states of the U.S. In my opinion, that many citizens departing from the country could be a big loss for a new developing country. So already, right after the new nation’s declaration of independence, more than four million people leave the new country and jump back into the Union.

If California now had its own federal government - no longer called State Government - the U.S. government would back away, taking all of its loans and other assistance away. That would mean taking away military personnel and other financial funding. So it seems that California would have to gather many civilian volunteers to build an army. Although the U.S. may be taking back their loaning of personnel from California, would they give up any important bases and strongholds embedded into the new nation? The U.S strongholds in California have always been used for specifically testing missiles and other weapons. California would, of course, not like this at all. But what could they do about it? They could fight with the U.S., but it may turn bloody, and, let’s be honest; California versus the rest of the United States? A California win would be unlikely.

Eventually, California would dry out. Literally. An article written by Melia Robinson from Business Insider claims that there’s no clear path to supply the state’s 38 million people with fresh water. Colorado is the state’s main supplier with the Colorado River. And, surely, even if they asked pretty please for some fresh water, would you think the country that they once belonged to would be nice enough and loan them some water because they won the right to legally secede from them? The best bet is that they would not. They might even make fun of California as they shrivel up from thirst or puke themselves dead from resorting to seawater.

The demise of  Yes California’s new nation: lack of water, a pretty ridiculous end for the developed former state that liberated itself from an economic powerhouse such as the U.S. I’d feel terrible for the bigger majority of Californians that didn’t want this despicable act to have happened. Honestly, Yes California has not thought this through with reasoning; they’re literally just upset with the results of a presidential election, letting anger lead them into making idiotic decisions such as this. What would separating themselves do? The answer of course would be making things worse in the end, to their own demise. Stop being sore losers, Yes California. If you disagree with what’s going on in this country, make statements that would benefit all fifty states. Help make the U.S an even better place to live in. And really concern yourselves with what would be best for California.

Joseph Frare is a contributor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joseph.frare@uconn.edu