Lil Yachty dominates fall concert

Rob $tone, H.E.R., and Lil Yachty perform at the SUBOG fall concert in Jorgensen on Friday, Nov. 4.  (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The line for the annual Fall Concert at 7 p.m. snaked from the steps of Jorgensen to the Student Union. Even before the line was in sight, though, the crowd could be heard. Fans braved the cold, harsh winds and threats of rain to see rappers Lil Yachty, Rob $tone and R&B vocalist H.E.R. Since the reveal of the lineup, students had low expectations for the concert. Third-semester students Noah Fontaine, Jeremiah Walker and Carlton Edwards all clarified that they were “only here for Lil Yachty.”

The lobby of the Jorgensen was a slightly more organized sight. The auditorium was not quite what was to be expected. The amount of people attending seemed too little for the size of the venue. The view was akin to walking into a middle school dance in the gym. Yet, that didn’t matter once the concert began. People were so pressed against each other, it was as if there wasn’t enough space. Distinguishing your sweat from the people around you was a nearly impossible task.

SUBOG’s choice of artists was genius. Rob $tone was the perfect starter. While not many people knew his music, the beats and his hype man on stage were enough to get the crowd energized and ready for the night ahead. $tone performed his most popular song, “Chill Bill,” among others.

After Rob $tone’s performance, the crowd was restless. H.E.R.’s performance, though underappreciated, was a good transition from $tone’s to Yachty’s through-the-roof energy. Throughout H.E.R.’s performance, a few people starting booing and chanting “Yachty, Yachty, Yachty.” Sensing the crowd’s restlessness, the singer did her best to pacify them by doing covers of a couple of well-known songs including Drake’s “Jungle.”

H.E.R. opened the show along with Rob $Stone (not pictured).  (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

Despite his delayed start time, when Yachty came out, there was a deafening roar in the building. The crowd erupted in screams and cheers that only energized the artist even more. Yachty was electric throughout the night. He was very interactive with the crowd and did not disappoint those who had come there to see him.

The mosh pit was a disaster area with people projecting alcohol and other liquids over the crowd and releasing smoke into the air. Glasses were broken, shoes were lost, toes were stepped on and much more. People were so close to each other they might as well have been one huge mass. That energy increased greatly and got violent when Yachty came out. The crowd was barely controlling themselves during the other performances but, it seemed that Yachty triggered something in them. For every two people that left the pit to sit in the back due to rowdiness, an entire crowd pushed through to take their place at the front of the stage.

This chaos was in stark contrast to the scene in the balcony. The people seated there were exactly that: seated. Few people got up to dance in the balcony and the ones that did get up looked out of place in the crowd. In the aftermath of the concert, many concertgoers were heard complaining about the lack of excitement in the balcony seats. While the pit was dangerous to maneuver, the people there seemed to really enjoy themselves. The same can’t be said for those in the balcony seats.

Despite all this, the event was one to remember. Denica Creighton, a first-semester biomedical engineering student, admits that while the pit was deadly, she doesn’t regret the experience. Though she had nearly lost her shoe, could barely breathe at times and was constantly sandwiched between people, she was proud to have survived her first mosh pit.

“Essentially, someone's elbow digging into your spine didn't matter once Yachty came out,” Creighton said.

Kanthalina Andreus is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kanthalina.andreus@uconn.edu.