Review: ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ will ragna-rock your brain with pure awesomeness

This image released by Marvel Studios shows the Hulk, from left, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie and Tom Hiddleston as Loki in a scene from, "Thor: Ragnarok." (Marvel Studios via AP)

The god of thunder is back and he’s funnier than ever before. Seriously, there hasn’t been a Marvel movie as hilarious as “Thor: Ragnarok,” ever. But the best part isn’t that the film is a comedic masterpiece, it is that it somehow manages to mix the fun and the action just right, leaving space for the serious dramatic tidbits to flourish when needed. “Thor: Ragnarok” is packed with so much Marvel material that hardcore comic book fans will have their minds blown. And even the general moviegoer who only knows Thor from “The Avengers” will leave the theater with a serious laughing condition. Leaving its mark as the 17th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), “Thor: Ragnarok” might well be the best superhero movie of the year.

Directed by New Zealand native Taika Waititi, “Thor: Ragnarok” finds Thor (Chris Hemsworth) trying to stop Ragnarok—the literal apocalypse in Norse mythology—from decimating his homeworld and Kingdom of Asgard. Along the way he discovers that his evil brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) has been masquerading as their father, Odin, falsely ruling the kingdom. With the help of Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), Thor and Loki search for Odin in New York City with their journey eventually leading them to Norway. Here, Odin reveals that the brothers have an older sister, Hela (Cate Blanchett), the goddess of death, and with her deathly introduction the movie follows a path of destruction. Thor and Loki then find their way to a planet called Sakaar, ruled by Grandmaster (comically played by Jeff Goldblum), and the action intensifies when Thor discovers that Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), or his “friend from work” as he says, is a gladiatorial celebrity. The marketing behind “Thor: Ragnarok” promised us the fight of the year in Thor vs. Hulk, and that is exactly what transpires. Not even Mayweather vs. McGregor comes close to the total awesomeness Hulk and Thor’s fight brings. From there, Thor eventually reconciles with the Hulk and they form their own team to try and stop Ragnarok from happening.

This team, named the Revengers, is comprised of the Asgardian warrior Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), the gladiator Korg, Loki, Thor and Hulk. Of the team, the most remarkable member is definitely Valkyrie. Thompson brings tremendous depth to the character that usually takes several overarching narratives for such effect to happen in a Marvel Studios movie. But while Valkyrie is a wonderful addition, the funniest and most memorable character of the Revengers, and of the movie, is Korg, hilariously played by director Waititi himself. It’s no lie, every scene he’s in will make your diaphragm explode of laughter, especially when Korg’s joyous quips are directed at Thor.

The film is indeed hilarious, but there are also serious implications that will further impact Thor and the rest of the Marvel characters in future movies, particularly the imminent “Avengers: Infinity War.” World-shattering things happen in “Thor: Ragnarok” and the film does a good job in emphasizing such catastrophes by cleverly diminishing the comedy when needed. Still, there are some times the film’s comedic overtones overtly undermines some pretty important character deaths. Besides those few misses, “Thor: Ragnarok” follows its previous Marvel Studios movie, “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” in giving us another spectacular supervillain: Hela.

Cate Blanchett’s Hela is the first female supervillain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and unlike her previous villainous male counterparts, she actually inflicts damage. She might as well be the best villain in the MCU, with her royal demeanor and fear-inducing acrobatic prowess, but like all other Marvel villains, she has a limited amount of screen time. Hela is truly marvelous and I wouldn’t be surprised if she somehow returns in future Marvel movies.

But we can’t talk about “Thor: Ragnarok” without mentioning the film’s amazing soundtrack by Mark Mothersbaugh. ‘80s synth music reminiscent of Giorgio Moroder’s own discography beautifully engraves the fim’s sonic composition and Led Zeppelin's “Immigrant Song” will now forever be Thor’s official theme song. The music itself forms such an inherent part of “Thor: Ragnarok,” that it would be impossible to imagine someone other than Mothersbaugh providing the sounds.

2017 has given us a wonderful library of superhero movies and “Thor: Ragnarok” is arguably the best of the year. It is so uniquely hilarious and utterly fun, that it would be a sin if not experienced in theaters.

Rating: 5/5

Carlos Rosario Gonzalez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at carlos.rosario_gonzales@uconn.edu.