UConn’s School of Business: Bad building or the worst building?

The School of Business comes with a more emoitonal perspective than meets the eye.  (The Daily Campus/stock photo)

I am a lowly CLAS student and I was in the market for a permission number to gain access to a Business School class. This search lead me to the School of Business, the weirdest building at UConn. The experience was a rollercoaster, so here is the play-by-play breakdown of it from an emotional perspective.

Intimidation:

Walking up to the School of Business, I was struck by its size. I have passed the building countless times but never really took in how big the place is from the outside. It turns out, the building is like the opposite of those tents wizards use at the Quidditch World Cup in the fourth Harry Potter movie. Where those tents look really small but are spacious inside, the School of Business looks huge but the inside is about three square feet.

Confusion:

After entering the building’s main foyer, one is faced with a circular room with another smaller room inside of it. This entrance creates the room version of a Russian doll. When designing the building, the architects must have thought to themselves, “Alright we have a nice big space here. How can we make it feel smaller and include the most uncomfortable meeting place possible? Two birds, one stone-type situation.” It seems like they made this tiny meeting room because it has never been done before and they wanted to be trendsetters, or early adopters of a horrible idea. The room’s fishbowl effect makes me really uncomfortable. I can’t handle people glancing at my laptop in lectures, let alone people walking around me when I’m in an important business-related meeting. After entering a few wrong doors, I found my way to the stairs but the confusion involved in finding the stairs was staggering. I don’t want a learning curve with my buildings. I should be able to walk into a building and, within five seconds max, figure out how I can get to the next floor. Once one finds the stairs, it is not clear which stairs go all the way up and which ones only go upwards from the second floor, which is a fun wrinkle they threw in there.

Understanding:  

Once on the right floor, I was able to find the room I was looking for easily compared to the horror show that is the entrance. No complaints with the upper floor set up. The people were nice and I didn’t get lost once so nobody can say this is an entirely bad review of the building.

Fear:

My upbeat mood quickly turned when I decided to take the elevator instead of the stairs on my way out of the building. The inside of the elevators look a good 30 years older than anything else in the building and seem to take their inspiration from a haunted house ride. The inside of the elevator was so dark and scary I was expecting a doorman with half of his face chewed off to close the doors, press the button marked “hell” and laugh maniacally while we descended to the fiery depths of the underworld. But that’s not what happened fortunately, and I was successfully transported to the poorly planned lobby and carried on with my day slightly more annoyed than I had been before I went into the School of Business.

Teddy Craven is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.craven_jr@uconn.edu.