Column: Philadelphia Eagles are here to stay

Philadelphia Eagles' Nelson Agholor, left, catches a pass against Denver Broncos' Chris Harris during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Michael Perez)

If you haven’t been convinced yet, Week 9’s game should have definitely done it for you. The Philadelphia Eagles are legit.

The Eagles put up 51 points on a top defense in the Denver Broncos with sophomore quarterback Carson Wentz throwing for 199 yards and a career-high four touchdowns. Philly’s seventh straight win brings them to 8-1 on the season.

This team wasn’t supposed to be this good. In fact, they had odds as high as 64-1 to win the Super Bowl this year. Nine games and eight wins later, they own the second best odds at 4-1 behind only the defending champion New England Patriots at 7-2.

It’s certainly beginning to look like a Super Bowl XXIX rematch is looming. The Eagles are an overwhelming -1,200 favorites to win the NFC East and 2-1 odds to win the conference. In the AFC, New England has looked better week after week as other contenders like the Chiefs and Raiders have struggled. But the Patriots are expected to reach the Super Bowl year after year, the Eagles are not. So what’s happened in Philly?

Carson Wentz happened.

Everyone knows that you need a talented quarterback to have a chance in today’s NFL. No need to look any further than the second-year quarterback out of North Dakota State who’s leading the MVP talks so far this season. Wentz increased his league lead in touchdown passes to 23 and he’s yet to throw a pick this year.

It helps that he has weapons around him as well. Tight end Zach Ertz and receivers Alshon Jeffery and Nelson Agholor all have at least 400 receiving yards and five touchdowns on the season. They went and added last year’s leader in rushing touchdowns LeGarrete Blount in the offseason to bolster their run game. And because the Eagles apparently didn’t have enough talent on their offense, they traded for Miami’s Jay Ajayi at the trade deadline. ‘

They’ll certainly need all the weapons on offense they can get because their defense has been very shaky. The Philly defense ranks 24th in the league in total yards, allowing a whopping 2,843 so far on the season. They rank a bit better in points per game, allowing 19.9, good for 12th in the league.

A bend-but-don’t-break defense is a dangerous game, but they certainly have the offense to bail this defense out of trouble.

Connor Donahue is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.