Men's Hockey: UConn, Boston College renew hockey east rivalry

UConn hit the ice to face Vermont on Saturday Nov. 4 at the XL Center. Although starting with an early lead, the Huskies fell apart, ending up with a 2-4 loss. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The Huskies looked like they were on their way to a weekend sweep of Vermont before allowing four unanswered goals on Saturday. UConn doesn’t have to wait long for a chance for redemption with a quick trip to Chestnut Hill on Tuesday to take on Boston College.

The Eagles are fresh off a sweep of Hockey East-rival Merrimack. The sweep pushed their record to 3-5-1 on the season. BC’s offense has been stuck in neutral this season. Their 1.89 goals per game average is dead last within Hockey East and their isn’t a single Eagle ranked within the top 25 for goals in the conference.

This is good news for UConn because their defense hasn’t exactly been lights out this season. Their 3.50 goals per game average is second worst in Hockey East behind only Merrimack.

UConn’s power play is also in the midst of a power outage. After starting the season 8-21, the Huskies have come up empty on their last 16 attempts with the man advantage.

There’s also room for improvement on the penalty kill. The Huskies have been killing of penalties at a 71 percent rate.

Factor in two shorthanded goals the Huskies have surrendered and special teams undoubtedly presents the greatest opportunity for UConn to improve.

BC’s net is minded by Joseph Woll; who already has an impressive resume despite being only nine games into his sophomore season. Woll was named to Hockey-East All-Rookie First team and was a Hockey East Honorable Mention All-Star. Currently, Woll ranks seventh in Hockey East in goals allowed.

Woll is capable of carrying his team for games at a time. One of the highlights of his freshman season last year was when he stonewalled eventual National Champion Denver for just one goal on 41 shots.

If UConn is going to leave Boston with a win they’ll have to be creative with their puck movement to get good looks at beating Woll and the Eagles’ defense. A timely power play goal wouldn’t hurt as well.

UConn and BC will drop the puck at 7:00 p.m. at the Conte Forum. Fans can also catch the game online on WatchESPN.com.

Bryan Lambert is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at bryan.lambert@uconn.edu.