UConn in the NBA: Walker cools off, Lamb remains steady

Minnesota Timberwolves forward Andrew Wiggins (22) lines up a shot against Charlotte Hornets guard Jeremy Lamb (3) in the first half of an NBA basketball game Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Stacy Bengs)

We’ve almost hit three full weeks of NBA basketball which means we’re a little over 10 percent done with the most exciting season in sports. At this point, almost all the good teams have remembered they’re good (sorry Cleveland), and the hot upstarts have started to fall back to Earth (looking at you Brooklyn). While a couple players on this list have regressed since last week, the others continue to thrive and their teams are showing it. Let’s take a look at how our former Huskies have performed since we last checked in.

Kemba Walker:Walker’s blazing start to the season has cooled off in the past week, but he and his team haven’t dropped too far. The Hornets sit at 5-5 and would be the 8-seed in the playoffs if the season ended today. For them to rise higher in the conference, Walker will need to pick his play back up. In the past week, he averaged 18.8 points per game while shooting 42.6 percent from the field and 20 percent from three. It’s Walker’s developed 3-point shot that has made him much more valuable to the Hornets and much harder for opposing teams to guard him. Let’s hope this is just a one-week slump for our beloved alumni point guard.

Andre Drummond: What a week it was for Drummond, whose team went 2-1, suffering only an ugly, effortless loss to the Lakers, while he kept living his best life by playing extremely well. He even dropped a verse under the name “Dre Drumm” in the song “Bet It.” Drummond has not shot under 50 percent from the free throw line in a game yet this year and his percentage on the season sits at 75 percent. He has done this while continuing to gobble rebounds at an astounding rate of 14.7 per game, swiping the ball away from his opponents over twice a game and doubling his assist average from the past season. This is the best version of Drummond anyone has ever seen on the court or heard on a beat, and here’s to hoping he keeps it up.

Jeremy Lamb: While his teammate Walker’s production may have dipped a little, Lamb remains steady and looks the most productive he’s ever been in an NBA uniform. He has boosted his percentages to 48.5 percent from the field and 45.9 percent from 3-point range while averaging 17.6 points per game, all career-highs for the 25-year-old. Maybe Lamb was just a slow learner to the NBA game, because in his sixth season it looks like he’s finally figuring it out, and just in time for a Hornets team that needs all the production it can get out of him.

Rudy Gay: Gay remains productive even as he continues to come off the bench in San Antonio. He is playing a decent role, 23.2 minutes per game, but nothing about his game really stands out at this point. San Antonio sits at 6-4, tied for 4th in the Western Conference, so it’d be huge for them if Gay could at least up his 35 percent mark from three and provide more floor spacing on a team that truly needs it.

Shabazz Napier: Since this time last week, Napier recorded three minutes of play in one game followed by three consecutive DNP (did not play) decisions from his coach. The light shining towards the future of Napier’s career dims more and more each week as his potential minutes at point guard are consistently swallowed up by Damian Lillard and Evan Turner. Barring an inconceivable breakthrough performance in limited minutes for the former UConn guard, do not expect much the rest of this season from Bazz.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zachary.d.lane@uconn.edu.